Photo by Trevor Swann

A group of students at Carleton launched a campaign this week to implement women’s-only gym hours at the university fitness centre.

The hours would consist of a set amount of time per week where only women can access the athletics facilities on campus.

The campaign is a collaborative effort between Carleton’s Womyn’s Centre, the Carleton University Muslim Students’ Association (CUMSA), the Rideau River Residence Association, the Graduate Students’ Association and the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA).

The group is currently using an online survey to determine students’ interest in the gym hours, according to Ashley Courchene, CUSA vice-president (student services). He said that 200 students have responded to the survey so far, with most supporting the idea.

A group of students took the issue to the Athletics board in August, but members of the board said there must be adequate proof of student interest before they would implement a women’s-only hour, according to Samiha Rayeda, the volunteer, outreach and programming co-ordinator at Ontario Public Interest Research Group at Carleton.

Once more students respond to the survey, organizers plan to take the issue back to the Athletics board, Courchene said. 

“We will show them the demand and hopefully start a discussion on how we can implement such a thing,” he said. 

Organizers say Carleton needs a women’s only gym hour because many women feel uncomfortable using the gym at the same time as men.

“The gym is a male-dominated space and it makes a lot of women feel uncomfortable,” said Sydney Schneider, programming co-ordinator at the Womyn’s Centre. “There are issues from catcalling or unwanted attention, right down to harassment.”

A women’s-only gym hour would be especially beneficial to Muslim women, according to Rana Hammoud, a communications director with CUMSA.  

“Muslim women often don’t go to the gym because they don’t feel comfortable going when there are men there,” she said. “For them to go and be able to dress freely and be comfortable without judgement from anyone, they are going to love it.”

Third-year forensic psychology student Alexis Murillo said she would benefit from a women’s-only gym hour.

“I would take advantage of this hour because personally, I would feel more comfortable around other women,”  Murillo said. “Sometimes in the gym I feel less comfortable around men.”

Scott Roscoe, a third-year social work student, also said he supports women’s-only gym hours.

“I think it can benefit a lot of people, and it would be an interesting and unique option for Carleton students to have,” he said.

Despite his support, Roscoe said some people will likely have negative attitudes towards the idea.  

“People might be upset or annoyed that they’d have to be kicked out of the gym for an hour or they can’t go to the gym at a certain time on this day or that day,” he said.

Courchene said there will always be criticisms, but if the majority are in favour, the gym hours should be implemented.  

Other universities, including Ryerson University and the University of Toronto, have already implemented women’s-only gym hours.