Photo by Zachary Novack.

The Royal Mental Health Centre hosted their annual Leaders for Mental Health Breakfast on Oct. 5, where a Carleton student spoke about his experiences with mental illness.

The event is dedicated to raising funds for mental health programs at the Royal. The Royal Mental Health Centre is a facility for those struggling with mental health issues. 

The Leaders for Mental Health Breakfast draws together physicians, donors, patients, and the community to discuss an important issue. Former Ottawa Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson was also present at the event.

Second-year Carleton biochemistry student Kieran Ménard spoke about his struggles living with mental illness during the event. Diagnosed with depression and schizophrenia at the age of 17, Ménard said he struggled with trying to do what most people with mental illness do: tell themselves that nothing is wrong and that everything was okay.

After nearly committing suicide, Ménard said he checked himself into the Royal in an attempt to seek help for his mental health issues.

Three years later, he served as a poster child for the Royal when he was asked to deliver a speech for the 2015 Leaders for Mental Health Breakfast, after discussing the idea with a doctor working at the Royal and organizers of the event.

“I was there to tell my story. . . and to hopefully help shed light on the idea of having success, even with such crippling diseases such as depression,” Ménard said.

Ménard said he feels “lucky” for the opportunity to take part in the Royal’s event.

“There are so many people I know who struggle as well and haven’t had the same outcome and opportunities that I have had. I want to change that, along with the stigma behind mental health,” he said.

This year, the breakfast raised over $312,000 for the Royal and drew a record amount of people to the event. However, Ménard said the Royal still lacks resources and space due to budget cuts, which is another reason he wanted to deliver his speech.

“Their hands are tied,” Ménard said. He added with more awareness about mental health initiatives like the Royal’s programs, the more support they can provide for the community.

“Although some things are changing, there still is a growing need for mental health awareness and treatment,” he said.

Ménard said he wants people struggling with mental illness to know they are not alone.

“If you’re struggling, your first step is to tell someone you know that you aren’t doing so great,” Ménard said. “Although some of the services can be improved, some services are better than none.”