Photo by Julian Gignac.

A Carleton student is in the process of launching Seeqe, a website designed to help users search for items at any selected location.

Aly Moursy, a third-year communications engineering student, founded Seeqe.com. He said he first got the idea to create this website over the summer of 2014 when he was searching for a product online and didn’t get the results he was looking for.

“Why isn’t there a website where you could just put in the product that you want to find and the city that you’re in, and it would show you the simplest way of getting it,” he said.

With support from his sister, the co-founder of Seeqe, Moursy began brainstorming ideas. He finally decided to launch a website for users to find products online by typing the item’s name and the city they want to find it in.

“What we’re doing differently from Google and Yahoo Answers is we’re constraining what the user can enter,” he said. “It will simplify the process.”

Seeqe.com features results of store locations where users can get the items they’re looking for. It’s also programmed to allow users to ask questions and share answers about item locations by signing in.

The website is now running in its prototype stage to give users a chance to test its features and give their feedback.

“We’re testing it out to the public,” Moursy said. “We’re trying to get feedback on what’s working and what’s not.”

While the webpage is running, the search engine’s data is currently limited because the website was launched earlier this month.

“Users create the content, and right now the content is very limited cause maybe only a hundred people know [about the website],” he said.

Moursy hopes the website will become self-sufficient by the next phase, which is the data launch. This stage involves adding information and features to the search engine within the next few months. Completing it depends on when the program will receive enough funding.

“Right now we have a team of people putting as much information as possible so we can get [the website] to a point that it can be self-sufficient,” he said.

Moursy plans to expand his project by making it easy for users to search for items by asking their friends on Facebook.

“In the future, we want to be able to share questions on Facebook,” he said. “So your friend can answer it within Facebook without going to the website.”

He said he also hopes to translate the website into different languages and launch a smart phone app to make it more convenient for users.