The scanner is currently being disassembled for shipment to Chalk River for further experiments and testing by Atomic Energy of Canada Limited. (Provided)

A major research project to scan for nuclear materials in shipped goods led by Carleton’s Department of Physics and funded by the federal government was completed in April.

The Cosmic Ray Inspection and Passive Tomography (CRIPT) scanner will detect for nuclear materials such as uranium and plutonium in various products brought into and out of the country, according to project leader and Carleton physics professor John Armitage.

The scanner is currently being disassembled for shipment to Chalk River for further experiments and testing by Atomic Energy of Canada Limited, a government nuclear researcher said.

What makes the scanner important to customs officials is its capability to detect nuclear material through various metals that an X-ray would be unable to penetrate.

“The problem with using light to take a photograph is you can only see the exterior of the crate. If you wanted to look inside the box, you would have to open it, or use an X-ray to see inside,” Armitage said.

“If the box were to be made of iron or other metal, then the X-rays would not penetrate the box.”

Andrew Erlandson, a post-doctorate student in the physics department and research assistant on the project, said the device uses a type of naturally occurring subatomic particle called muons to penetrate material.

“The physics behind CRIPT is based on these particles scattering or changing direction after passing through something dense,” Erlandson said via email.

“Using this information, a 3D image can be constructed from the statistics and data gathered by the device.”

James Botte, a fourth-year physics major and research assistant, said that because of how muons pass through lighter materials, the technology is best used to image heavier elements—an advantage for personal privacy.

“Humans are virtually invisible to the scanner, making it less intrusive than a conventional airport scanner,” he said. “It is a device that really only does what it’s supposed to do, and so can only be used for its intended purpose.”

The project began in 2009 when several government organizations approached Armitage with funding, he said. They included Health Canada, the Canadian Border Services Agency, and Defence Research and Development Canada.

According to Botte, the team of up to 12 people worked five to 50 hours weekly to build the scanner.

“Though there will always be at least some conflict between any job and school, Professor Armitage insisted that I prioritize my schooling over the project,” Botte added.