Janice Elliott, a longtime employee at Carleton, passed away on the morning of Sept. 9 after a battle with cancer.

For 27 years, Elliott was a strong presence on the Carleton campus. As shown in the memorial guest book at the Paul Menton Centre (PMC), visitors referred to her “positive attitude” and “beautiful spirit.” Others make mention of her special laugh—a laugh that could be heard throughout the building, according to PMC director Larry McCloskey.

Bruce Hamm, the student services administrator at the PMC, said throughout her career at both Health and Counselling Services and the PMC, Elliott was always available for a conversation.

“Students would come to the PMC just to spend time with Janice—to share a laugh or share a tear,” he said.

Elliott’s passion for helping and forming human connections with people was especially evident through the influence of her work with students with disabilities, according to the memorial guest book outside the PMC. Over the years, it was written that she changed the lives of many who met her, helping them achieve an education and overcome difficulties.

As demonstrated by the speeches at her wedding and the words from the memorial guest book, as an advocate, a mentor, a colleague, and a friend, Elliott left a mark on the people she worked with and the university.

In April of this year, Elliott married her longtime partner Ed Bigelow in the River Building at Carleton, in a ceremony planned by her colleagues.

According to a CBC article, after first being diagnosed with bladder cancer in 2015, Elliott learned in 2016 that the cancer had spread to her lungs.

The PMC has established the Janice Elliott Student Services Bursary, which will be awarded to a student with a strong dedication to the centre and to helping students with disabilities.

Donations for the bursary will be accepted online on Carleton’s Future Funder website.

According to the website, “this bursary is inspired by her service to the university, its students and her wonderful sense of humour.”

Carleton president Roseann Runte offered her condolences in a statement.

“We will remember Janice Elliott for her service to the community, its students, and her wonderful sense of humour with great admiration and respect,” Runte said.

A guest book and memorial are located in the lobby of the PMC. Visitors can write their memories of Elliott and offer their condolences to her family.