Matthew Holahan gave a seminar on how to improve memory in the library’s Discovery Centre on April 4. (Photo by Erica Giancola)

Associate Carleton neuroscience professor Matthew Holahan gave a seminar on how to improve memory in the library’s newly minted Discovery Centre on April 4.

The presentation focused on proven strategies that people can use to improve their long-term memories, according to Holahan.

Memories are formed through the growth and restructuring of neurons, in a process called Long Term Potentiation (LTP), Holahan said.

He said scientists have discovered ways to encourage neuron growth and LTP.

For students studying for exams, Holahan suggested students “space it out,” and take breaks when studying, instead of trying to cram for a test.

He also advised students to get plenty of rest before an exam. Sleep helps “consolidate memories,” he said.

Exercise is another great way to promote memory retention, according to Holahan.

Omega-3 fatty acids have also been shown to increase LTP, he said, so incorporating more fish and nuts into one’s diet may be cognitively beneficial.

Holahan said that certain levels of stress, caffeine, and other stimulants could also improve memory, but only up to a certain point.

“If you have low levels of anxiety, your performance isn’t as good and your memory function isn’t as good,” he said.

“As anxiety goes up to 50 per cent, let’s say, your performance and your memory get really, really good, so it has a facilitation effect. Once anxiety gets over that hump, up into the 75 to 100 per cent range, then things break down,” he said.

He said the same balance can be struck for coffee, and even nicotine.

“But I would say that all drugs are bad as a strategy for improving memory because they’re pretty toxic to the brain with all the other chemicals that go into them,” he said.

Holahan said, unfortunately, there is no miracle strategy to dramatically improve memory.

“Many individuals are already functioning cognitively at or very close to the maximum level possible,” he said.

The presentation was the last of a series of four seminars by Holahan called Learning, Memory & the Brain.

The series was part of Informed2Learn, a Carleton initiative that included several seminar sessions throughout the year, with Carleton faculty and graduate students lecturing on various topics.

Other lectures included a series on language and one teaching people how to brand themselves online.