Carleton professor Martha Wiebe received the Bessie Touzel award in recognition for her dedication and work in the field of social work education.

An instructor in the social work program, Wiebe received the award from the eastern chapter of the Ontario Association of Social Workers on April 19.

“I was pleased, and I didn’t feel [deserving] of [the award], but it is nice to be recognized and honoured by one’s professional colleagues,” Wiebe said.

“For the last several years my focus has been on getting [Carleton] students into the community, setting them up with various contacts I have in the field and getting [them] placements within professional organizations [and] to really look at a professional role once they graduate with their Social Work degree,” Wiebe said.

“Martha has made pioneering contributions to the practice of social work and has worked to raise awareness of social justice issues.” said Andre Plourde, dean of public affairs at Carleton.

“She has, among other things, directly affected the learning experiences of huge numbers of students.”

Wiebe said she is inspired by her students’ energy and sees that “very often, they have a really strong sense of social justice despite the choices available to them and a commitment to helping those who are marginalized or disadvantaged in our society.”

She said she also continues to see “tremendous needs in the community and there are people who are continuously disadvantaged and isolated in the society.”

Wiebe said that she will “still be working with students, and I hope as they will continue the work in the community.”