Photo by Julien Gignac.

Carleton has released a new strategy to promote workplace mental health in response to calls from faculty and students.

The plan was developed after a similar strategy for students was met with widespread praise.

“In 2009, the university launched a university-wide initiative to develop and implement a student mental health framework, the first of its kind in Canada,” said Ed Kane, Carleton’s assistant vice-president (university services).

“This award-winning initiative established mental health as a priority for students on campus and paved the way for a culture shift—the benefits of which we see today, six years later. We believe now is the time to take similar steps to support our faculty and staff in the workplace,” he said.

Kane said the Mental Health Commission of Canada released new national standards for psychological health and safety in the workplace. These recommendations will be reflected in the plan.

“Based on this national initiative, Carleton is taking further steps to embark on a university-wide mental health and well-being strategy to assess and enhance mental health programs, policies, and initiatives,” Kane said.

“In 2014, a three-year healthy workplace plan called ‘Healthy Conversations, Healthy Relationships, Healthy People, Healthy Community’ was developed following extensive research and feedback.”

Kane said the strategy focuses on three key areas: health promotion, work-life balance, and mental health.

According to Kane, Carleton is among many other universities implementing new mental health strategies.

“There are other Canadian universities embarking on a workplace mental health journey. Carleton is part of a community of practice called the ‘Workplace Wellness for Canadian Universities and Colleges.’ We share best practices with over 30 other post-secondary institutions across the country,” he said.

So far, the new strategy has been well-received by faculty.

“The CU Workplace Mental Health and Well-Being Strategy strikes me as basically common sense. It’s importance is in the heightened awareness it gives to mental health issues among colleagues as for students, so that, for instance, there may be accommodations for any health issue, including mental health,” said Elizabeth Klaassen, a humanities professor.

“I see the policy as a safeguard against a culture that still views mental health problems as a weakness based on lack of self-control. Its emphasis on respect may help to counteract trivialization of the difficulties suffered by some of our colleagues,” she said.

Kane said the four-year strategy will take some time to fully implement, but he is optimistic there will be a noticeable shift in how mental health is viewed in the workplace.

“It is our hope and intention that this strategy will continue to serve our community in its collective efforts to provide support and enhance a supportive and respectful workplace for all to work, thrive, and contribute in meaningful ways,” Kane said.