Photo by Chris Roussakis.

Carleton hosted leaders from across the globe to promote access and inclusion for persons with disabilities at its first ever International Summit on Accessibility July 12-14.

According to Summit’s website, the theme, “Making it Happen – From Intention to Action,” focused on giving workshops in three primary streams: Innovation, Technology, and Accessible Communities.

“The concept of the event dates back to 2012,” Darryl Boyce explained, co-chair of the Summit committee and Carleton’s vice-president (facilities management and planning).

He said Carleton wanted to organize a conference focused on accessible communities, engage the national and international community, and execute an action-based conference for the inclusion of people with disabilities into Canadian society.

Over 580 delegates from around the world attended the Summit, along with more than 100 speakers, according to Boyce.

He said the success of the event was partly due to the overwhelming positive feedback of the delegates.

“We brought a very diverse group from around the world and talked about many aspects of accessibility: physical, mental, emotional, and saw our delegates networking, learning from each other, and discussing action plans for their communities,” Boyce said.

The event launched with a speech by Ontario’s Lt.-Gov. David Onley, who was also the honorary chair of the Summit. Onley introduced the theme by asking the audience, “What role can you play in moving from intent to action?” He continued by discussing the importance of investing in the future through accessible innovations.

Throughout the four-day summit, multiple workshops took place allowing delegates to choose discussions that were relevant to their organizations’ areas of interest.

From accessibility in higher education, to delivering business goals by creating an inclusive environment and creating accessible communities through housing initiatives, the Summit was meant to inspire professionals to move beyond the minimum requirements, and make accessibility a competitive advantage, according to Boyce.

Featured speaker paralympian Rick Hansen, the CEO of the Rick Hansen Foundation, closed the event.

Sofia Dala, Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) vice-president (internal) represented Carleton’s student body at the Summit. She said Hansen’s mentality inspired her.

“Rick Hansen believes that anything is possible,” she said. “It really motivated me to work harder and give my 100 per cent.”

The Paul Menton Centre and CUSA also co-sponsored 16 students to attend the Summit, with priority given to students with disabilities, Dala said.

Carleton hired Confersense Planners Inc. to ensure the four days were running smoothly and on track. Chuck E. Schouwerwou, the director of the company, said Carleton hired his team to work together with Carleton and make the event accessible for everyone.

“Accessibility issues are a very personal thing for me, so I was very honoured when I was given this opportunity,” he said.