Companies are now tapping into the cannabis market, even if they’re not selling cannabis itself. The Ottawa Cannabis and Hemp Expo featured exhibitors and products ranging from massage chairs to hand-blown glass bongs. It was held at the Shaw Centre on Nov. 24 and 25.

While this wasn’t the first time the cannabis expo took place in the city, it is the first time it has been held since the drug became legal last month.

According to Statistics Canada, the cannabis industry was estimated to have a value of $3 billion in 2017, an even greater number than the tobacco industry. The data also shows that household buyers in Canada spent $5.7 billion on the drug. A Statistics Canada study also revealed that cannabis use has more than doubled between 1985 to 2017.

Adam Reynolds works for Redfern Enterprises, a company that sells various home appliances solely at trade shows like this one. His products were lined up in a row where people could sit down, relax, and have a free massage.

“We brought our massages here because there is a lot of pain with marijuana,” said Reynolds. This is the company’s third cannabis expo, and Reynolds said they have had success at all three.

According to regular attendees and company representatives, most cannabis expos include a wide variety of products.

“At every conference we go to there is a massage person. There is a combination of everything,” said Giancarlo Sessa, co-founder of Blade Filters Inc, a company founded by four students in Toronto.

Sessa and his company have travelled to six cannabis trade shows where they have sold their product—a sustainable carbon air filter—the only one that does not need annual replacement. They eventually hope to expand their market beyond the cannabis industry to hospitals, condo buildings, and offices.

Sessa said people are pretty quick to switch over to their carbon filter when they realize how much money they can save.

“You meet a lot of interesting people at these expos. It’s great—everyone wants to learn more about the industry since it’s something new,” said Sessa.

Fertilizer companies are also tapping into this new market.

Jean-Luc Lebrun, a representative from BioCanna, an organic plant-based fertilizer company that sells their product in North America said his passion to educate people on organic fertilizer overcame his dismay for cannabis legalization.

“They’re still going to use it anyways, so they may as well do it right,” he said.

Lebrun explained that smoking cannabis grown with no synthetic materials is much healthier for the consumer.

Adam Myers, a frequent cannabis user, said he loves how events like these are now socially acceptable and provide information about many different aspects of the cannabis industry. He came to look at new products and get educated about home-growing.

“Everyone’s pretty much stoned or was stoned earlier so it’s a good time,” he said.   

Photo by Hannah Berge