The ISSO cancelled Carleton's exchange program for 2021-22. [Photo from file]

Studying abroad is an opportunity to absorb a new culture, create friendships and enjoy a holistic approach to earning a university degree. 

But for many that opportunity was taken away in October, when the International Student Services Office (ISSO) announced via email that exchange programs would not be proceeding this winter due to COVID-19 safety concerns.

This announcement came as a disappointment to some Carleton students. 

“It’s a frustrating situation for me,” said Isabella Joao, a third-year student and exchange applicant. Joao added she was first notified of the cancellation over email this October. 

Interested students said they were instructed to apply for the 2021-22 exchange programs in December 2020, 10 months before the ISSO would have sent them to their respective study programs abroad. 

Exchange programs for the fall semester were cancelled by the ISSO by email in February, as Global Affairs Canada maintained its advisory against non-essential international travel. 

On Oct. 21, the Canadian government lifted the advisory.  

Given the lifted travel advisory, third-year communications and media studies student Sydney Powell-Goldsmith said she is confused about the rationale behind the decision to cancel Carleton’s exchange program.

“The government opened travel, so that’s the thing I don’t totally understand,” she said. “The fact that the government doesn’t have the advisory open for next semester makes the [ISSO’s] decision just very rash.” 

Steven Reid, a Carleton University spokesperson, told the Charlatan in an email that the exchange program would be offered virtually this winter. 

“In light of the challenges and uncertainties posed by COVID-19, Carleton University has made the difficult decision to not proceed with in-person student mobility for the Winter 2022 term,” Reid wrote. 

Reid declined to offer further reasons behind the ISSO’s decision. 

Due to the programming change, Powell-Goldsmith had to register for Carleton classes at the last minute. 

Because she planned for the exchange program, Powell-Goldsmith said she dropped classes in earlier semesters to have enough electives to go abroad. She lost her status as a full-time student and her scholarship.

“At the end of this, honestly, because of everything that’s gone on with exchange, I’m out thousands of dollars,” Powell-Goldsmith said. 

Since the cancellation, Powell-Goldsmith and Joao said the ISSO has not refunded students their $80 application fee.

Powell-Goldsmith said these planning issues could have been avoided if the ISSO communicated more frequently with students. She said since last December, ISSO emails regarding exchange have come in three month intervals. 

“Their communication has been really delayed,” Powell-Goldsmith said. Joao agreed.

Joao said the ISSO’s decision came “kind of last minute” and put her in an inconvenient position, including forcing her to redo her course registration.

“Throughout the year, they should have given more updates as to what they were gonna do and what their plan was,” Joao said. 

Other Canadian universities are considering reinstating their winter 2022 exchange programs. A University of Toronto website statement confirms its exchange program will continue after the new year and McGill University announced it is still deciding whether to reinstate its program. 

Reid wrote Carleton’s exchange program will resume in-person next year. 

“Students interested in continuing to pursue eligibility in an exchange opportunity in the 2022-2023 academic year are encouraged to apply,” Reid wrote.

Powell-Goldsmith said she envisioned studying in Europe since before starting university. 

“I was really looking forward to the exchange,” Powell-Goldsmith said. “I’m still coming to terms with the fact that that’s not happening.” 

Featured image from file.