All but two of 19 Canadian universities have dropped in rankings on Times Higher Education’s 2012-2013 World University Rankings list.

The rankings, which include the Top 400 World University list, are the only global university performance tables to judge universities across their core missions of teaching, research, knowledge transfer and international outlook, according to its website.

One reason why Canadian universities have fallen on the Top 400 list is due to the competition we have with institutions in Asia, specifically in Singapore and South Korea, according to the Maclean’s website.

Although Canada has more universities on the list compared to other countries, countries such as the United States, United Kingdom, Germany and Netherlands have more schools in the top 200.

In the overall World University Rankings, the University of Toronto fell two spots this year from 19th to 21st place. The University of British Columbia fell eight spots to be ranked 30th. McGill dropped to 34 from 28, and the University of Alberta ranked 121, dropping 21 places from the 100th spot.

The University of Ottawa was one of the two Canadian Universities to move up this year,  from 185 to 171, and the University of Montreal also moved up from 20 spots, from 104 to 84 this year.

Carleton landed in the 226-250 range, which was the same result from last year.

The top university for the second year in a row was the California Institute of Technology with an overall score of 95.5. The second best was University of Oxford with an overall score of 93.7.