John Greyson (Pictured) and Tarek Loubani are being held captive by Egyptian authorities. (Provided)

Two Canadian professors remain apprehended in Egypt after being arrested Aug. 16.

John Greyson, a film professor at York University and Tarek Loubani, a physician and professor at Western University, are being held captive by Egyptian authorities, according to Excalibur, York’s community newspaper.

The two intended on using Egypt as a stopover on their way to Gaza, where Greyson would be filming a documentary and Loubani would be taking part in training local doctors.

Greyson and Loubani are being accused of “being part of an armed gang, threatening security, and possessing firearms, ammunition and explosives,” the Excalibur reported.

York president Mamdouh Shoukri expressed support for the well-being of Greyson and Loubani in a press release.

“The University has been in contact with government officials to express our deep concern for the welfare of Greyson and Loubani,” Shoukri said. “Members of the York community, through local efforts, petitions, and statements, have been actively involved in supporting their safe return.”

Western president Amit Chakma called on the government to press for their release.

“We urge Canadian government officials to continue their efforts to secure the safe and immediate release of these professors who are being detained without formal charges laid against them,” Chakma said in a statement.

“We know consular officials in Cairo have been in contact with Profs. Loubani and Greyson and have confirmed they are in good health. We also know that officials with Canada’s Foreign Affairs Ministry have been in contact with their Egyptian counterparts concerning the incident,” Chakma said.

York professor Justin Podur, a friend of both Greyson and Loubani, described the allegations the two faced on his blog Aug. 20 as “far-fetched.”

Podur has since written that their lawyers have met with a Cairo prosecutor and Canadian embassy staff.

“The prosecutor said his own investigation was continuing and he was waiting for additional information, which he expects to come in another few days, before making his decision about whether Tarek and John would be released,” Podur posted Aug. 30. “Our lawyers will be checking in daily to see if the prosecutor has made his decision.”

Egyptian authorities are obliging the two to stay in prison for a period of 15 days. Podur said in his blog that this period of time is like a “detention order pending an investigation.”

The Canadian Civil Liberties Association has expressed concern due to the growing conflict in Egypt.

An online petition has been created on Change.org to help get the professors out of Egypt. With over 99,000 signatures, the petition aims to put pressure on the Canadian government to take action on this matter.

There is still no word on a possible release date.

“Presently, the two Canadians are being held without charge while an investigation is taking place that has no known end date,” Chakma said. “As such, we are joining other concerned voices across the country appealing to the Egyptian authorities to ensure Profs. Loubani and Greyson are released from detention as soon as possible.”