Mandela died Dec. 5, 2013 at the age of 95. (Provided)

The federal government is creating a new scholarship fund for African students in memory of the late Nelson Mandela.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced the creation of the African Leaders of Tomorrow Scholarships Fund Dec. 11, 2013, which will be run through the Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development.

The government is pledging up to $5 million over a period of five years, which will be matched by the MasterCard Foundation in Toronto, supporting various educational activities throughout Africa.

The fund aims to “expose future leaders of the public sector to Canadian best practices in governance, public policy, innovation and administration,” according to a press release.

The fund is only open to graduate students. Students will be chosen to study English, French, or public policy and public administration at the master’s degree level for a period of one to two years.

Successful applicants will be selected based on criteria such as their undergraduate degree, relevant work experience, and the case made for their application, the government stated.

The government will also give special consideration to women in an effort to advance female leadership throughout Africa.

Once completed, the government said students will return to their countries “better prepared to take on challenges.”

Mandela was a prominent leader in South Africa’s anti-apartheid revolution. After spending 27 years in prison for opposing the country’s existing government, he was elected South Africa’s first black president. He died Dec. 5, 2013 at the age of 95.