(Photos by Michel Ghanem)

I don’t know about you, but when the newly re-elected President Obama and his perfect family walked out on stage following a decisive victory, the only thing I could focus on was their sartorial decisions for the brief appearance. Awa, campus style selectee for this week couldn’t explain it more clearly when she told me that “Life is a fashion show for real.” Fashion surrounds us, from politics to right here on campus at Carleton. This week I pondered on how personal style would change once affected by a red carpet or presidential appearance. Take a look!

Natasha, fourth-year political science

Tell us what you’re wearing today!

I’m wearing a jacket from Club Monaco, a skirt from Dynamite, a sweater from Banana Republic, scarf and top from Jacob. My shoes are from Marshalls, and my purse was a total impulse purchase in an airport in Amsterdam.

Where do you like to shop the most?

Club Monaco — even if it’s so expensive. Zara, H&M — even if Ottawa doesn’t have it because we suck.

If you were elected president tomorrow, what would you and your family be wearing?

Probably a really cute formal dress with textured tights, and a colourful pump — maybe even blue for the fall. I would want my husband to be dressed equally as formal, but maybe hipster-ish by having the scarf tied differently. I would totally want my kids to match, even if it would probably look ridiculous.

Awa, second-year human rights and law 

What are you working with today?

I’m wearing these rad semi high wasted red spandex-y pants, which I got in Montreal – same as my boots actually! They’re Timberlands, they take forever to lace up but it’s worth it. My coat is from Casa Blanca, my fur stole is from H&M, and my jewelry is mostly from Le Chateau, and my earrings from Aldo. For makeup, I’m wearing MAC., and some CoverGirl — everyone wants to be a CoverGirl — and some mascara from Shoppers Drug Mart.

Favourite shopping locations?

Forever 21! I also like Value Village A LOT — I can’t stress that enough. Out of city shopping, I love going to Montreal, I find it so cheap and you have a wide variety. The chances that you’ll match with someone else are very unlikely.

If you were a celebrity on the red carpet, what do you visualize your dress to be?

Nothing! [laughs] I really like neutral colours, I’m not really one to wear a bunch of bright colours. Like my red pants, I always wear one bright thing and call it a day. But I would probably wear something rather sleek and fitted, a bit just above the knee if it was red carpet but not too high up.

Aisling, fourth-year international business

Tell us about your look.

I’m wearing a mix of Urban Outfitters and vintage. Mostly vintage — pretty much everything actually is from Value Village. Only the dress is from Urban Outfitters!

If you were on the red carpet right now as a celebrity, what would you be wearing?

I work for a store downtown called The Allegro and there are some dresses I really want to buy. Particularly one from Kensie and one from Mink Pink — so one of those two brands!

If you had kids, how would you dress them?

Ralph Lauren, all the way!

Are you keeping an eye out for Campus Style blogger Michel Ghanem?

You can follow him on twitter, @wtfmichel.