(Photos by Michel Ghanem)

Female fashion, in its own way, is full of options and opportunities. Menswear, on the other hand, ends up falling into a trap of a rotation of similar items with slight alterations on colour or design. How can we step outside of those boundaries for a moment, and explore the possibilities that style has to offer? How do we draw the line between too hip and unfashionable? This week we took a closer look at menswear on campus, and Carleton students were not afraid to state their opinions on hip styles and its evolution.

Joe, third-year mechanical engineering

What are you wearing today, and where did you get it all from?

My jacket is from Walmart, nothing special, the jean button-up and the pink shirt are both from Value Village, these black jeans are from Bluenotes, and the shoes are Vans from NRML, downtown.

What influences you to purchase or to not purchase certain items?

Definitely my girlfriend. I’m not that fashionable, but my girlfriend is, and she kinda gives me advice on what looks good and what doesn’t.

Do you always take her advice into consideration?

Not all the time! Sometimes she’ll recommend something that’s a little too hip for me . . . she’s in architecture and I’m an engineer. Engineers aren’t the most fashionable people — we can’t pull off some of the things architects can pull off.

How do you draw the line between ‘too hip’ and ‘not hip enough’?

If it makes you look homeless, it’s too hip.

Yagiz, second-year international business

Tell us a bit about your look today.

Today, I’m wearing khakis from Zara, a sweater from a friend, and a button-up from Lacoste.

What influences your wardrobe?

Mainly singers. Rappers like Wiz Khalifa; I like how he dresses up, nice and classy sometimes. A little bit of John Legend, and definitely some Kanye West. I like to stay on top of fashion sometimes!

Where do you like to shop?

I actually just got interviewed at Zara. I love that place. Also Urban Outfitters and Gap, which is a truly underrated store.

How do you draw the line between too hip and perfect for your wardrobe?

Unnecessary glasses, I draw the line there. Especially those big Ray-Bans! Also really really really skinny jeans, and an extra large shirt — that’s hipster man, that’s where I draw the line.

Joel, Masters economics 

Explain your outfit to us!

I’m wearing shoes from Aldo, pants from out of Canada, the button-up and jacket from a boutique in Toronto, and the bag from Nigeria.

What influences your wardrobe?

Recent fashion and trends, I just shop anywhere I like. I look up to Kanye West and such for their style as well.

Where do you shop the most?

Banana Republic, that’s pretty much it.

Do you ever find yourself picking up items due to their trendiness over your own personal style?

No! I always pick what I like and what fits me. You need to be comfortable, so I pick up what is comfortable and fits me well, rather than what people prefer. Culture plays a role in comfort too, in a way.   Have comments, questions, or suggestions? You can tweet Ghanem Style at @wtfmichel.