Photos by Lindsay Crone

The debate on fashion as an art and form of expression is always on trend when it comes to the creation of clothes, but how do students express themselves through the way they wear different pieces on a daily basis? This week, Campus Style caught up with students finishing up their midterms to give us their view on how outfits can reflect their personality, and their opinion on fashion as an art.

Style tip of the week: Survive the rest of the winter by adding pops of different colour into your outfits — keep your entourage on their toes by leaving your dark tones for the summer.

Stephanie, third-year communication studies

Top: Thrifted

Tights: Ardene

Boots: The Ottawa Vintage Clothing Show

Bracelets: From Cuba

How does your clothing reflect your personality?

It’s like, all over the place. It goes from girly, to grungy, to thrifty and old school – so just as random as I am I would say.

Is fashion a form of art?

Oh yeah for sure! It’s so creative, passionate. I’m not like a guru or anything I don’t know designers and stuff, but it’s just a fun way to express yourself.

Spencer, second-year journalism with a minor in business

Shirt and pants: Gap

Belt: Sears

Shoes: Call It Spring

Watch: The Bay

How do you express yourself through the way you dress?

I’m a big fan of colours. Moving beyond the navy blue/grey/black colour scheme, especially for guys, so taking a risk, like my rust-coloured pants. To sum it up, it’s like punches of colours within that preppy conservative look, so pushing the boundaries.

Do you think the way you dress reflects your personality?

I think it does, it reflects my personality a lot. Again, pushing boundaries, and I like having the attention and the eyes on me, and just wearing cool clothes.

Charlene, fourth-year political science and human rights

Sweater: Value Village

Jeans: American Eagle

Boots: From Mom for Christmas

Pin: OPIRG-Carleton

Do you feel like you dress in a certain way to express yourself?

Yeah I guess so! Usually it’s kinda just like stuff I find around, colourful things to express myself. Sometimes I just throw on gross things when I’m not into it, but generally yes.

Do you believe fashion is a form of art?

Yeah totally. Just a way people can express themselves and show a certain vision, it can totally be a form of art.

Are you campus stylin’ this week? Keep up with Michel Ghanem on Twitter @wtfmichel.