Photos by Michel Ghanem

Getting to the root of why we pick out particular items over others is more than a matter of interest and enticement — it can sometimes come down to the root of culture. Look around you on Carleton’s campus, our student body is full of cultural and ethnic diversity, but how much of an impact does it create on individual wardrobes? This week we take a look at the importance of style in our community, and the influential grasp of culture.

Ifeoma, first-year business and law 

Tell us about your look!
I’m wearing a blazer from ASOS, the shirt from Ardene, the riding pants from American Apparel, the bag and ring is Aldo, the earrings from Forever 21, and I don’t remember where I got my shoes or bracelets! For makeup I’m wearing MAC and a variety of other brands.

How do you think makeup plays a role in how women present themselves?
I think it defines how you are — your style, your personality, and how you are feeling in that particular point in your life. If you have bright makeup, you’re probably having a good day or feeling happy, but if you’re makeup is darker you’re probably not in a mood to express yourself as much.

How do you think culture plays a role in how people people dress?
It depends on the influence from the country or wherever you’re from. I’m Nigerian, and we get styles from all over the world — we shop everywhere, and we end up with combined styles. Anyone can have good style though, regardless of culture!

Martina, first-year communication studies

Tell us about what you pulled together today!
I am wearing shoes from Winners, leggings from Forever 21, my coat from Gap, a skirt that is vintage, my gloves are Coach, and my backpack is Longchamp.

Why do you think it’s important to dress well?
You never know who’s going to be out there, and when you dress well you feel well.

What are your thoughts when picking out your clothes for the day?
Obviously the weather! Usually what I’m feeling — comfort is important as well.

Do you think culture plays a role in the way you, or the people around you dress?
I would say it depends. Not really for me, but maybe for others. You can tell they pull their influence from their culture.

Erica, third-year women’s studies and human rights

What are you wearing today?
I am wearing a polka dot dress from Forever 21, a black sweater and coat from Old Navy, tights from Walmart, and my boots from Spring!

How is fashion important to you and the community around you?
I think it’s good just as a way of self-expression, you can tell a lot from someone by the way they dress sometimes.

What goes through your head when you’re choosing an outfit?
Weather appropriateness! I don’t wear pants, so I have to figure out how to layer, it just sort of depends on my mood. I’m much more of a ‘figuring it out in the morning than the night before’ kind of person; I’m not very good at planning!

How do you think culture around you influences the way you dress?
It’s sort of how you tell your story — where you come from and where you see yourself going. I think culture in the sense that you’re visually projecting to the world how you want them to see you.

Loving Ghanem Style? You can keep up with Michel Ghanem on twitter, @wtfmichel.