Ravens men's hockey defenceman C.J. Garcia is leaving Carleton to play with the Anglet Hormadi Pays Basque of France’s Ligue Magnus. [Photo from file]

As the Carleton men’s hockey team continues to experience another strong regular season, the Ravens are hoping that their newest recruit will be the final piece needed to make a deep playoff run in the tough Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East Division.

The Ravens were able to recruit 5’11” defenseman C.J. Garcia, a highly touted player out of Pickering, Ont., who started the beginning of this year playing for the ECHL Colorado Eagles.

The former Eagle said that his discussions with the coaching staff, along with the impressive résumé of former players that have gone on to play at the professional level, were large factors for why he chose to come to Carleton.

“The head coach Shaun Van Allen, and the ex-head coach Marty [Johnston] spoke highly of this program and a lot of people going pro after,” Garcia said. “I just thought it was the best fit for me.”

At 21-years-old and with nearly five and a half seasons of experience playing in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) and the ECHL, Garcia is far from your typical U Sports rookie.

After spending a rollercoaster four seasons in the OHL with the Barrie Colts, Guelph Storm, and Saginaw Spirit, Garcia made the leap to the professionals by signing with the ECHL’s Wheeling Nailers near the end of the 2016-17 season.

He would eventually be traded to the Colorado Eagles for future considerations the following season.

“It’s an eye-opener to see what it takes to be a pro every day at the next level,” Garcia said about his time in the ECHL. “Every day knowing that someone else could take your spot or take your job basically.”

The former Guelph Storm captain has even been praised by Van Allen for his athleticism, physicality, and on-ice ability early into the second half of the season.

“He’s got a presence with his shot,” Van Allen said. “He’s a strong skater. He’s physical, and he’s definitely helped our depth.”

Despite only playing six games to start the second semester, Garcia has recorded three assists and 20 penalty minutes for the Ravens hockey squad, with three wins to go along with it.

And while Garcia is still looking to bury the first goal of his university career, Van Allen said that it’s been due more to bad puck luck than missed opportunities.

“He could have had the overtime winner in Nipissing [on Jan. 13],” Van Allen said. “It just hit the back heel of a [player’s] skate. Otherwise, that would have been in.”

Like every new recruit, Garcia has had the task of making the quick transition to playing with new teammates, new coaches, a new system, and university life while he works towards his psychology degree.

However, it’s been the hospitality from former Guelph Storm teammate and second-year goalie Justin Nichols that has made Garcia’s shift from professional to university hockey easier to complete.

“Everything has been going smoothly,” Garcia said. “Just showing me the ropes and showing me everything on campus, and what we have to do as a first-year guy. Basically just being a great teammate.”

Since being brought back as a varsity sport in 2007, the Ravens men’s hockey team have quietly been building their program back into national contenders. After losing to the Université du Québec à Trois-Rivières Patriotes in last year’s OUA quarter-finals, the Ravens are hoping to take another step in the right direction.

As another hockey chapter begins, Garcia said that his ultimate goal is to bring Carleton its first-ever national championship before he graduates.

“I just want to be a winner here and hopefully continue the tradition of winning and finally bring a national title to this university.”

Photo provided