The student union had banned breakdancing in February. (Photo illustration by Kyle Fazackerley)

A breakdance crew at the University of Calgary was asked to leave the student centre March 4 as it went about its dance routine.

The crew had been dancing in the student centre for the past three years without incident.

Security received a complaint regarding the safety of the dancers and possible dangers to other students, according to Jared Herring, president of the Hip Hop and Funk Styles Club.

University spokesperson Scott Donaldson said the student union had banned breakdancing in February.

“The students’ union was unaware the activity had been taking place at this location,” he said. “The students’ union made the decision to ban the activity at that location.”

Donaldson said security had approached the student union and raised concerns about liability to the union and the university should anything happen to the dancers.

“Campus security did their due diligence by bringing a potential safety and liability concern forward,” he said. “Based on the dance moves involved there was risk to the individuals taking part, the students’ union who operate the student centre, and to the university who own the facility.”

The Hip Hop and Funk Styles Club, which did not formally organize the dancing routine, said it disagrees with the ban.

“Security had not given a reason, or clearly identified the actual complaint that initiated this development,” Herring said. “The ban limits not only the creative expression of the dancers, but the overall awareness of their passion to the entire campus. Student life takes a huge hit due to this ban, and it’s disappointing to see art on campus being stifled rather than promoted.”

No other theatre or dance groups have been asked to leave the student centre, according to Herring.

“To my knowledge only the dancers have been asked to leave the space. More often than not the space is left empty,” he said.

Ben Cannon, vice-president (student life) of the student union, said this was a unique situation.

“I do not believe we have ever had a situation like this before,” Cannon said. “To clarify the group is not banned from the building, but we do need them to go through the appropriate channels to book the space for use. In booking the space . . . the group would likely be allowed to continue their practice.”