Photo by Trevor Swann.

Crowds of people both young and old, clambered in trails to kick-off the first day of Bluesfest. As the first sets were starting, the Black Sheep Stage had the act down pat. With a crowd dancing to the sweet tunes of Ottawa based ska punk band, Suits N’ Toques, one couldn’t help joining in on the “skanking”, a dance move popular in the genre. The gents played tunes like “Faceplant”, from their latest album FORNO. If you’re in Toronto over the rest of the summer be sure to check them out at Toronto Ska Festival, as well as Toronto based bar The Central. If one has no desire to travel to the big T-dot, well you’re in luck, these gents will be back for Ottawa Ska Fest hosted by House of Targ.

Joe Jackson and David Gogo played their grooving soul tunes on the main city stage as well as the Barney Danson Centre. Jackson had the entire lawn singing along to his classics “Is She Really Going Out with Him” and “Sunday Papers.” David Gogo had the crowd in stiches while telling his story of meeting BB King, and in awe while showing off how to play soulful tunes with slide guitar.

At the Monster Energy Drink Stage, The Head and The Heart headlined but the tables turned when Australian indie rock-folk band Boy and Bear stole the show. The crowd was swaying and grooving to the music with their unique combination of genres. Cross our fingers we get to see more of these Australian gentlemen in Canada.

Back at the Black Sheep stage Peter Bjorn and John had their own crowd in a frenzy. The Swedish indie pop-rock band, most notable for their song “Young Folke,” was rocking it with their crowd dancing along. All clad in matching jumpsuits, they had their set down pat and were having great fun themselves.

Later in the day, genres switched with the performance of the much-anticipated rapper Schoolboy Q. Having his new LP “Blank Face” drop last night at 11 p.m., Q noted on stage that he almost cancelled this show because of it, but luckily for his fans he kept true to his word and stuck around. From laying his single “That Part” to Kendrick Lamar’s “Madd City,” Schoolboy Q had the sea of a crowd stretching from each end of the gates, jumping and rapping along in a frenzy.

The winner of the biggest crowd would undeniably have to be the major headliner of the night, Billy Idol. The “Dancing With Myself” singer not only pranced around the stage the entire show, but also had thousands of people in the crowd joining him, myself included. The energy the entire band produced all show had people running to get into the mob. Steve Stevens’s numerous guitar solos were legendary, going through riffs of Led Zeppelin to even performing some slide with what looked to be a child’s laser gun. Blue Highway was performed with such punk attitude, that when Billy ripped off his shirt to perform Rebel Yell, the crowd was howling.

Hey Red Hot Chili Peppers, I think you may have some stiff competition!