Photo by Evan McKay

On July 7, Ottawa ska-punk outfit Suits ‘n Toques made their festival debut at Bluesfest 2016. The seven-piece band opened up the festival with high energy and a positive attitude, with many audience members hyping up the growing crowd with their “skanking”, a popular dance move associated with ska music.

Taking on the Blacksheep stage, just behind the Canadian War Museum, Suits ‘n Toques braved the scorching sun for the entirety of their 45 minute time slot. The band played many of their original tunes off of the Let Loose EP and their debut album Forno. As well, they played a few cover songs including Van Morrison’s Brown Eyed Girl.

After an energetic set and mingling with friends, family and strangers in the audience, Suits ‘n Toques retreated to their air conditioned trailer. The Charlatan was able to catch up with the band here and proceed with possibly one of the weirdest interviews to ever occur at Ottawa Bluesfest.

The interview began with guitarist Jordan Campbell rushing out of the trailer in search of his parents.

“My mom texted me saying ‘Where are you, we can give you some money!’ Sorry but I might have to go…” Campbell said as he flew out the door.

So, with the rest of the five members of the band left to speak to, The Charlatan began with asking: How has Bluesfest been for Suits ‘n Toques?

“It’s been great!” said singer and trombonist Chris Ferrante. “[The co-ordinators] are hella organized and they have to deal with every band that’s not! I was getting all their emails for months and months and I almost felt bad coming here and having questions.”

“Walking into our own trailer with wifi, air conditioning and a cooler stocked with energy drinks and booze… we don’t even need to get paid!” Ferrante continued. “Even if they put no chairs in this trailer, nothing but AC… we would still be over the moon!”

Suits ‘n Toques draws upon ska-punk influences such as Less Than Jake and Reel Big Fish; and have opened for the latter at Ottawa’s own Mavericks! Having such a specific sound, The Charlatan was curious as to how they formed initially.

“High school,” Ferrante said. “Six out of the seven of us went to high school together. Our music teacher at the time created this course called ‘small ensemble’ where you were supposed to go and create jazz trios and stuff, but we formed a ska punk band. Knowing each other through high school band is where we picked up the horns and stuff.”

When asked how he felt about the crowds’ attendance the show, Ferrante said, “I had no doubt that we would sound how we would sound but I was really surprised to see the [amount of] people.”

“Yeah, we were surprised to see 50 thousand people!” said drummer Greg Longpre as he leant in uncomfortably close to the microphone.

At this point, Campbell returned to the trailer with security in tow to retrieve his ID that he had forgotten in his quest for beer and money from his mother.

“I got IDed” Campbell said as the whole trailer erupted with laughter at his unfortunate situation, though he was $20 richer.

Conversation ensued as Campbell finally received his long awaited beverage from the clutches of Bluesfest security.

“Did I miss all the legit questions?” Campbell said. “Because since I got back we’ve just been talking about my mom and beer.”