A Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) football player is in a medically induced coma after sufferring a head injury during a game Sept. 10, according to the CBC.

Kevin Kwasny, a third-year member of the Bishop’s University football squad, suffered a subdural hematoma, or a brain haemorrhage, after a game against the Concordia Stingers.

The 6-foot-1, 230-pound defensive end was taken to a hospital in Sherbrooke, Que., and after going through surgery he is now in an induced coma. Kwasny remains in critical, but stable, condition, according to the CBC.

Kwasny had no obvious problems or signs of illness in the first half of the game, according to the team’s head coach.

“He was lucid, talking to the players, talking to the coaches, everything seemed fine until he got into the dressing room,” said Gaiters coach Tony Addona.

At halftime, Kwasny seemed ill and he was immediately taken from the game to Sherbrooke, Que., Addona said.

At this point, doctors cannot determine if there will be permanent brain damage until the swelling subsides according to the Winnipeg Sun.

“This is devastating for everyone and all we can do is to continue to have our thoughts and prayers with [Kwansy] and his family,” Addona said. “We just don’t know what happened, how or when it happened.”

Head injuries are commonplace in professional football today. A study in 2000 surveyed 1,090 former National Football League players and found that over 60 per cent had suffered at least one concussion throughout their careers, according to The New York Times.

Thomas Timlin, Carleton’s football manager, said he does have safety concerns for the new team slated to start playing in 2013.

“Football is a collision sport, and head injuries are relatively common,” he said. “They’re a special concern in any sport, not just football. Bishop’s did a great job of rushing him to hospital and getting the right care.”

“Having a proper training staff is the most important part of preventing devastating head injuries,” Timlin said.  He said doctors and therapy staff should always be on site and all staff and players should have a proper awareness of head injuries.

Some Carleton students said they believe these precautions aren’t enough.

“As someone who has received a concussion from sports, I can definitely say that sports injuries need to be taken seriously, and everyone should receive an inspection immediately after taking a blow or a ball to the head,” said Franny Weigensberg, a second-year journalism student. “If a player receives even a minor hit on the head, he or she should be seen by a doctor and only be allowed to resume play if the doctor says it is okay.”

Canadian football gear is checked up on to ensure the safety of players.  All equipment used in CIS football is safety certified and all helmets are replaced every two years to ensure there are no damages, said Timlin.

Timlin also said he believes the new fields teams play on today will give players much greater body control than the fields of “concrete and some grass” that were used 20 years ago.

“For the most part, with the field of play, new rules and proper training, players today have the necessary tools to compete at this level,” he said.
“The equipment today does a great job of protecting players, but it is a full contact sport and players need to be prepared for any situation and know the risks involved,” said Luke Ottenhoff, a first-year journalism student.

As for Kwasny, Bishop’s spokesman John Edwards said, “all we can do for him now is pray.”