*Ensure that you are using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, NOT SAFARI. Hit refresh if the video doesn’t show up.

Name: Ben Diaz
Program/year:
Anthropology with a Minor in English
Position running for:
Vice president student issues
Why are you running for CUSA council?

Ever since I arrived at Carleton I have spent a great deal of my time getting involved and working to ensure students’ issues are addressed and their voices are heard. Carleton students deserve a united executive that will always stand beside them when they’re facing any issue from the UPASS and unfair grades, to violence and oppression.
What do you think makes you a good candidate?

It’s always been important to me to stand up for any person in need and help out in anyway I can. Saying this, my time here at Carleton has included being actively involved in numerous students’ issues campaigns hosted through many of the CUSA service centres. This past fall I also worked on the Campus Food Survey, and collected over 2500 student surveys where a huge number of students expressed concerns about food security, budgets, and many other issues.
What are two things you hope to achieve if elected?

1. If elected as your next VPSI my new “Know Your Rights” campaign will allow all students to become educated about their tenant, legal, academic, and social rights.
2. I will work to lobby for better U-Pass regulations. This will include everything from route options, the age cap, price, opt-ins and opt-outs etc. United for Carleton wants to ensure your U-Pass works for you!
What’s one fun fact about yourself?

This past year, I’ve started to work with the Carleton Improv team, and at one of our first events I was made to dress up as a giant beaver!