The Ontario government passed back-to-work legislation on Nov. 19, ending the five-week college strike. Faculty returned to work on Nov. 20, and classes started again the following day.

The legislation was passed after the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU), with a 95 per cent turnout, rejected the College Employer Council’s new contract offer by 86 per cent.

Ontario’s Premier Kathleen Wynne introduced the back-to-work legislation on Nov. 16 but it was voted down by the New Democratic Party.

The legislature tabled the bill again on the weekend and the vote passed on Nov. 19.

“It was incredibly heavy handed on the part of the government and incredibly late for an intervention on their part,” said JP Hornick, chair of the faculty bargaining team of the legislation. “There were a number of other tools the government had at their disposal, and council had, that they neglected to use up until that very last second.”

“It’s a historically unprecedented vote,” she said. “It’s a real testament to our people that vote had that high a turnout but also that they stood up and very bravely voted to reject.” 

Hornick said she is frustrated with the council’s refusal to listen to the faculty’s proposals.

“Their strategy was to stonewall, starting in July,” she said. “At every stage it was [the council’s] offer or nothing at all.”

The College Employer Council’s last proposal included a 7.75 per cent salary increase over four years, improved benefits to address concerns regarding part-time faculty, with language surrounding academic freedom remaining as the major outstanding issue, according to CTV News.

But, the union said the offer contained “serious concessions” that were not agreed to, which would remove faculty rights and contribute to an unsustainable staffing model, according to the article.

“It was something that they would not even consider,” Hornick said of the council’s rejection of the proposal. “It’s pretty reprehensible”.

The council’s new contract offer included the concessions, according to her.

She said some the issues included staff ratios, underfunding, word precarity and academic freedom.

“Nothing that we have put on the table have come to us as something that’s unrealistic but revealed as something that colleges just didn’t want to do,” Hornick added.

Colleges will now have the semester extended, reading week cancelled and winter break shortened to make up for the lost five weeks.

For example, at Algonquin College, fall semester will be pushed to Jan. 11, for most programs with the college closed from Dec. 22 to Jan. 1. Hornick called it “a huge disruption.”

“It really put the student year in jeopardy and it took a hell of a toll on faculty and students alike,” she said. “There needs to be a significant change in how bargaining is conducted.”

There will be a provincial task force, funded by the government, that will look at issues and propose recommendations as well as the mediation-arbitration process for outstanding issues.

RM Kennedy, the chair of OPSEU’s College Faculty division, said the timing of the legislation was “cynical” since it didn’t give the sides a chance to bargain after the rejected council offer.

Hornick and Kennedy noted the strike has helped raise awareness about issues and bring unity among faculty.  

“The five-week strike, as hard as that’s been on faculty and students, has built a momentum and a sense of shared experience and mobilization that is unpresented within our section and isn’t going to dissipate anytime soon,” Hornick said.

“This strike is a lot more than a strike. It’s a social movement particularly around the issue of precarious work,” as Kennedy pointed out that non-union faculty members make less than $35,000 per year.

“I think there is a whole new consciousness,” he said.

Students have also filed a class action class suit against the colleges seeking damages the strike has caused them.

But, Deb Matthews, Minister of Advanced Education, announced that students can get a full tuition refund if they withdraw from the semester, while those who are staying enrolled can apply for up to $500 in “hardship” aid.

Photo by Meagan Casalino