The Law Society of British Columbia (LSBC) has reversed its decision to recognize graduates of the Trinity Western University (TWU) School of Law.

The decision came on Oct. 31, after a referendum of B.C. lawyers was held, and 74 per cent voted in favour of not recognizing the new TWU law school as an approved faculty of law “for the purpose of the Law Society’s admission program,” according to a press release from the LSBC.

The results of the referendum were considered “in the context of many other factors relating to this issue,” said LSBC president Jan Lindsey in a statement.

She said the referendum and these factors led the LSBC’s board of governors, known as “benchers,” to their final decision regarding the faith-based school.

Twenty-five of 30 benchers voted to uphold the results of the referendum.

A total of 13,530 practising, non-practising and retired lawyers were entitled to vote, and more than 8,000 valid ballots were received.

Guy Saffold, a spokesperson for TWU, said in a statement the university is disappointed with the outcome.

“Trinity Western is open and welcoming to all, and places a high importance on respect and care for everyone in our community,” he said.

The school, located in what is sometimes referred to as the “Bible Belt,” in B.C.’s Fraser Valley region, has long been a source of debate due to the religious practices it enforces for its students.

These include requiring both staff and students to sign a covenant that prohibits sex outside of marriage between a man and a woman.

The TWU law school is set to open in 2016.

Law societies in Ontario and Nova Scotia have voted against accrediting TWU law graduates, while Alberta and Saskatchewan’s bar associations will be recognizing them.

TWU has already challenged the decisions made by the law societies of Ontario and Nova Scotia.

TWU’s challenge cases will be heard throughout December 2014 and January 2015.

“The process for the TWU School of Law is ongoing,” Saffold said. “We will take some time to review our course of action in British Columbia.”

Saffold said the new law school will focus on educating lawyers to work in rural communities and the not-for-profit sector—areas he said are currently underserved and vulnerable.

The referendum and ensuing decision comes almost a year after the province approved the school of law originally.