Carleton’s Munro Beattie Lecture hosted Giller Prize winner and Carleton alumnus André Alexis to read from his works, as well as speak about the challenges he has faced as a writer.

Alexis headed the annual Munro Beattie Lecture in the Azrieli Theatre on Jan. 26. Open to the public, the event hit full capacity 15 minutes before the start time.

The Munro Beattie Lecture began in 1985 to honour the English department’s founder. Past speakers of the lecture include Giller Prize winners Joseph Boyden and Lynn Coady. Door prizes were given in celebration of Carleton’s 75th anniversary.

Alexis spoke about the different ways he approaches the topic of God in his own fiction.

“I’m obsessed with storytelling, with all of its ins and outs,” Alexis told the audience.

His advice for other writers was simple.

“Write. There is literally no other advice that matters,” Alexis said. “In fact, you’re the one that stops yourself. No one else really cares if you write, no one really cares if you stop. It’s internal and to go on to write, if that’s what you need to do, that’s what you should do.”

Alecks Charron, an English student, said she is a fan of Alexis’ work.

“I’ll take away [from the talk] that you shouldn’t get caught up in your own head, in your own life in writing. You should be experimental,” Charron said.

Megan Shannon, a first-year English student, attended the event with friends and described the event as eye-opening.

“I really like hearing authors read their own work. It changes my perspective on it. He spoke and read in a different voice, so you could really feel the passion and the connection he had to his writing,” Shannon said.

Carleton English professor Rosemarie Hoey said she thought the night was exciting, and sensed a genuine empathy and appreciation in Alexis, particularly when reading his Fifteen Dogs excerpt. She said she saw a few tears in the audience, and added she believes Alexis hit a human core with his work.

“He’s going to be around for a while. He’s worked and struggled,” Hoey said. “I think genuine writers are passionate people. Because that’s what keeps you going at two in the morning or doing your research. The passion will sustain. To hear him read his own work, with that emotion, made it come off the page. I liked seeing that authenticity.”

Alexis left the crowd with his best tip for aspiring writers.

“The essential thing is, you just write. It should matter to you . . . it doesn’t matter, if you’re successful or not,” Alexis said