OC Transpo’s Confederation Line has been open for just over a week now, but people in Ottawa seem to be using it like it’s been there for years.

For many, the 13-stop light rail system will be their main mode of transportation for their daily downtown commute. For others, it’s just a nice, smooth and fun way to make it across town.

Commuters should know what to expect when they get on or off the train at any of the stations, so I decided to spend an afternoon riding the full Confederation Line, end-to-end, getting off at all 13 stations.

Here’s my review and ranking of every single new LRT station in Ottawa.

13. Cyrville Station: There’s really nothing special about Cyrville Station. I mean, it’s nice, but it’s an otherwise forgettable station. When I went, it was kind of dead, but it kind of reminded me of a rural TGV station in the south of France.

12. Lee’s Station: Maybe I’m just getting old, but I remember when this station was a Transitway bus stop. Other than that, it’s kind of bland. It seems like a practical station though, because it’s not far from the University of Ottawa, and a bunch of apartment complexes are a short walking distance away.

11. University of Ottawa Station: There’s not really a lot that stands out about this station, but nothing inherently bad about it. It’s convenient for uOttawa students and it’s pretty practical and bright.

The uOttawa Station offers no clues as to what a Gee-Gee is. [Photo by Jeff Pelletier]
10. Blair Station: This is the furthest east the Confederation Line goes. It’s a bit of a crowded and busy place, since there’s often a mass of people trying to exit and enter the train at the same time, as OC Transpo staff yell at people which direction they’re supposed to go. There’s also a bit of a wait once the train stops before it switches directions and leaves, but it’s not as long as the wait if you’re taking the Trillium Line at Greenboro or Bayview.

9. Tunney’s Pasture: This is the furthest west the Confederation Line goes. It’s a bit of an awkward ending to the line, but I’m looking forward to seeing what it looks like in a few years when Phase 2 is completed and the line extends to Bayshore. This station’s greatest feature is that there’s a public bathroom on the platform.

8. Hurdman Station: The most outstanding thing about this station is you have a cool panoramic view of the surrounding area. It’s right next to the bus stop, where a lot of buses from the south end of the city will soon drop people off so they can transfer on to LRT.

7. St. Laurent Station: This station is one of the more unique-looking stations. It’s built in the old St. Laurent Transitway tunnel, and the westbound platform has a cool mural behind it. Conveniently, it’s also connected to St. Laurent shopping centre, which makes it easy to get from your train to the mall, or vice versa.

6. Tremblay Sation: This station’s main purpose is to provide a rail link from the Via Rail station to the downtown core. That’s something Ottawa has needed since Ottawa’s original downtown railroad tracks were removed and the old train station was converted into a government conference centre. It takes less than 10 minutes to get downtown from Tremblay, making it the LRT the most convenient method of transport for Via Rail travellers.

5. Bayview Station: This was the first station I got to see and I was impressed. It’s very bright, and it’s connected to the original O-Train line. Thankfully, it’s a quick staircase/escalator climb or elevator ride to get from one platform to the other. You no longer have to walk 500 miles to get from the O-Train to the Bayview bus shelters.

4. Pimisi Station: First off, the name “Pimisi” is the Algonquin word for “eel,” which is pretty cool. This stations pays tribute to Indigenous communities through a series of painted canoe paddles dangling from the roof, depicting traditional colours and imagery. The new station at LeBreton also has a beautiful greenspace beside it for pedestrians and cyclists.

3. Parliament Station: This station will probably end up being one of the busier stations because of its central location. It’s very colourful inside, thanks to an abstract ceiling design. The entrance/exit bring people right inside the SunLife building, next to Queen Street Fare. It was tough putting this one in third place because it’s a great station.

2. Rideau Station: Probably the most conveniently located stations on the line, there’s a massive escalator that takes people up and into the Rideau Centre, and there’s a second entrance that allows people to get off the train and be at the entrance to the ByWard Market. If you take the Rideau Centre entrance, you can stop along your way to the mall and enjoy works from local artists at a small gallery.

1. Lyon Station: This is definitely the nicest and most spacious station on the line. There’s lots of beautiful artwork to enjoy as you descend into the tunnel from street level and while you’re underground. The tunnel feels futuristic and gives Ottawa that real big city vibe. It’s a top-notch station and it reminds me of some of London’s better tube stations.

Your best station is Lyon ladies and gentlemen. Thanks for reading. [Photo by Jeff Pelletier]

Feature image by Meral Jamal.