Rich Gang: Tha Tour Part 1

by Young Thug, Rich Homie Quan, and Birdman

Released by YMCMB

Young Thug, Rich Homie Quan, and Birdman are the latest configuration of the YMCMB-associated moniker Rich Gang, who have released a new mixtape, Rich Gang: Tha Tour Part 1.

These names in succession should turn heads, as Atlanta’s Young Thug and Rich Homie Quan are responsible for some of the most bizarre and simultaneously genius rap singles of the last year or so. Additionally, Birdman has been responsible for some great cigar-smoking and stack-counting in pretty much every Young Money music video to date, so the bar has been set high. Luckily, Rich Gang makes the hurdle.

The tape is at its best with Thug and Quan trading verses and hooks, with the occasional monologue by Birdman. The interplay between the first two brings their strange delivery styles to an even-stranger level, presenting a blurry, elastic version of rap.

The main weakness of the trio is Birdman. The longtime rapper/stack-counter/self-proclaimed oil baron thankfully stays off most tracks, save for occasional shoutouts to friends or half-assed verses about still owning a gun.

From tape opener “Givenchy” Rich Gang carves out a defined, over-the-top aesthetic. Anybody issuing a complaint about how much cartoonish energy Thug and Quan are pumping into each track will be unheard due to their self-proclaimed supply of incredibly loud weed and Louis Vuitton earmuffs.

The first half of the tape proves that Rich Gang could drop some incredibly catchy singles. Standout tracks “I Know It” and “Flava” pack strong verses and decent melodies.

The production is largely handled by Young Thug and Gucci Mane collaborator London on da Track. His beats are typical of contemporary rap, with a trap-leaning, southern hip-hop style. No beat is necessarily a standout and it would have been nice to hear more variation.

The tape is a fun, if a bit repetitive introduction to a promising collaboration. Modern rap fans will find it enjoyable, at least at its high points. If there is  a part two, hopefully they decide to capitalize on their songwriting abilities and lean towards a slightly catchier sound.