True 
Solange Knowles
Terrible Records

Beyond the trademark as Beyoncé Knowles’s chic younger sister, Solange Knowles proves herself as a talented 26-year-old singer in True, her newest EP released Nov. 27.

Fortunately, this seven-track record hits unexpected highs and has been positively received throughout the music world.

Awkward album art aside, True is riddled with African-inspired sounds and melodies. Knowles shares her intimate and truthful secrets on love, loneliness, and heartaches.

As an obvious and catchy lead single for her EP“Losing You” shares Knowles’s complex experience of a slow decline of love and eventual drifting in a complicated relationship – “we used to kiss all night, but now there’s just no use.”

As a music video, “Losing You” directed by Melina Matsoukas delivers a stunning montage of Knowles’s entourage as they spend the day venturing through Cape Town, South Africa.

Keeping with Knowles’s heartbroken attitude, “Some Things Never Seem to Fucking Work” is a nostalgic highlight of the album, reaching out to past relationships. She references her life as a 17-year-old and her limited view of love — “convinced myself you were the shit”.

This particular song features a 45-second male interlude, explaining the other point of view. Although the lyrics, “so now I’m calling out for a way, to give myself in,” add the slightest depth and meaning to her song, it proves unnecessary in the end result. Her relationships may not “seem to fucking work” – but the song sucks you into her world and proves otherwise.

Released shortly before the EP was posted on iTunes, “Lovers in the Parking Lot” sees the extent of Knowles’s vocal abilities and helps the listener relate and understand her lyrics – “I played around with your heart, now I’m playing around in the dark.”

Knowles weaves dark lyrics and hypnotic instruments throughout her EP successfully, with ease and experience. She demonstrates that through time and effort, even a closely-watched artist with high expectations can deliver.

Although True may not take Billboard music charts by storm like a Flo Rida bumping club single, Knowles’s heartfelt lyrics and relatable content leaves you wanting more.

Solange Knowles has finally stepped out of her sister’s shadow, and is paving her own path.

Expect to be playing True on repeat until Knowles’s third full LP album is released in 2013.