Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die!Music Album

Panic! at the Disco

Released by Decaydance

Panic! at the Disco is a band that’s always a little hard to categorize. Going through a multitude of changes both musically and in their lineup has led to each of their albums sounding distinct and yet they’ve always maintained their signature Panic! sound and penchant for theatrics.

This time around, they’ve done it again.

Following up 2011’s Vices and Virtues, the band’s fourth album, Too Weird to Live, Too Rare to Die!, pays homage to their hometown, Las Vegas.

The 10-song record is the first with bassist Dallon Weekes as an official member of the band, and its title is a quote from the novel Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson.

The lyrics on the album are more personal than any singer/songwriter Brendon Urie has previously written since taking over writing duties after the departure of former guitarist/lyricist Ryan Ross. And it shows.

In the album’s opening number, “This Is Gospel,” Urie passionately belts out, “Truth be told I never was yours, if you love me, let me go” in a chorus so strong it is bound to get hoards of fans on their feet screaming the words back at him.

The album’s first single, “Miss Jackson”—a reference to pop sensation Janet Jackson—is also a catchy tune that encompasses the grittier sound the band was aiming for on the album. It sets the stage for the rest of the record, which jumps from angry rock anthems to electro-pop synthetic beats that are perfect to dance to in the blink of an eye.

While the majority of the album’s tracks maintain the careful balance between synthetic beats, Urie’s vocals, the band member’s other instruments, and their creative lyrics, some songs fall a bit flat.

While songs like “Vegas Lights,” “Collar Full,” and “Girls/Girls/Boys” skillfully combine these elements into infectious dance numbers, other tracks like “Girl That You Love” and “Casual Affair” seem to miss that peak, building and building but ultimately falling short, with repetitive lyrics and an overuse of synth.

The album’s standout track, and one of Panic!’s strongest to-date, is “Nicotine.” It’s a song that sounds like a combination of ABBA and rock, yet somehow still works. The lyrics, angry and bitter, combine with a thumping bass and synth to create a song that’s easily trapped in your head.

The final track, a simple ballad written for Urie’s wife, titled “The End Of All Things,” has a softer sound compared to the other songs and rounds off the album with a haunting piano.

All in all, Too Weird To Live, Too Rare To Die! is a fantastic effort by Panic! at the Disco and proves that no matter how much time has passed, they’ve still got what it takes to put out an album that will blow audiences away.