Music AlbumRestoring Force

Of Mice & Men

Released by Rise

Restoring Force is the third studio album from California-based, metalcore band Of Mice & Men.

The album debuted at No. 4 on the Billboard 200 Chart, selling 51,000 copies in its first week, taking Beyoncé’s place on the chart. It has been getting rave reviews from publications around the world.

The question is, what makes Restoring Force so great?

Of Mice & Men’s self-titled first album was often seen as the “typical” metalcore record, drawing comparisons to bands like The Devil Wears Prada. Their second album, The Flood, gained more attention.

Between those two albums, listeners can notice the amount of growth the band went through. From The Flood to Restoring Force, that growth was even more evident.

During the time between the two albums, Of Mice & Men lost their bassist and clean vocalist, Shayley Bourget.

For their Warped Tour 2012 stint, Aaron Pauley of Jamie’s Elsewhere filled in and was later announced as Bourget’s replacement. Fans were concerned about the change, fearing the band would change because of this new addition. Turns out, Pauley’s vocals were the best thing to happen to Of Mice & Men.

Pauley’s talent knows no bounds. The way his voice complements the harsh lead vocals of Austin Carlile is almost magical.

His vocals on “Identity Disorder” eloquently set the tone of the song—conflict with your inner self—and Carlile’s powerhouse vocals drive the point home.

All the songs on Restoring Force were vocally excellent, but “Identity Disorder” stood out because of the harmony between the two vocalists. The rest of the band, guitarists Alan Ashby and Philip Manansala, and drummer Valentino Arteaga, are stars within their own right.

The instrumental aspect of Restoring Force is a powerful effort.

The guitars are tantalizing and successfully lure listeners in. Manansala’s solos are practically surreal.

The drums are authoritative, making their presence known throughout every song. Arteaga never fails to impress fans and newcomers alike with his drumming talent. The bass just ties it all together and keeps the rest of the band running smoothly.

Restoring Force is an amazing piece of musicianship and the album hit all the right notes. After so much touring and a lineup change, the band managed to pull it together and create something beautiful.