Music AlbumSalad Days

Mac DeMarco

Released by Captured Tracks

Mac DeMarco has given the indie music scene the quintessential summer record with the release of his new LP, Salad Days.

The 23-year-old Canadian indie rocker dropped his third full-length album April 1. Eleven tracks of chilled-out melodies and reflective lyrics play out as the soundtrack to riding your bike to the beach on a hot summer afternoon or being alone with your thoughts all day.

Salad Days shows evolved lyrical content that is unheard in DeMarco’s previous works.

Known for his goofy demeanour and stage antics, DeMarco’s past albums feature lyrics and sounds that are reflective of his image.

Meanwhile, Salad Days projects an unprecedented sense of maturity and self-awareness. The April Fool’s Day release date seems almost tongue-in-cheek once his persona is correlated with his music, but make no mistake, this album is far from being a joke.

The title track sets the tone as DeMarco croons about coming to terms with the fact that he’s having to grow up. And he’s tired. “As I’m getting older, chip up on my shoulder/Rolling through life, to roll over and die,” he sings with surprisingly laid-back self-assurance.

The feeling carries out into “Blue Boy,” “Brother,” and “Goodbye Weekend,” songs that are equally mellow and introspective of the meaning of maturity.

DeMarco also opens up about love with the ballads “Let My Baby Stay” and “Treat Her Better.” There is an honesty to these songs’ lyrics that reveals a side of DeMarco that has not been seen before.

Even with the pensive mood, Salad Days is never dull. The first half of the album is styled with beachy guitar riffs that make them fun to listen to. A calypso-infused pop melody is the backdrop to “Let Her Go,” a standout track on the album.

The latter half of the album is characterized by dreamy, ’80s-style synths, as are present in “Chamber of Reflection,” the album’s most powerful song. It progresses in a slow, ethereal trance, and the repetition of the words “alone again” throughout the verses captures the state of solitude the album brings about.

It all wraps up with “Johnny’s Odyssey,” an instrumental track that pretty well encompasses all the other songs into one perfect conclusion of the album.

Salad Days is a great effort from Mac DeMarco.

It’s clear that he has grown as an artist and is beginning to venture toward new musical grounds. Listeners can enjoy a genuinely produced album that is sure to stay on repeat. Summer break is upon us, so make sure to grab a copy ahead of time for the days when you just need to unwind.