Houston, Texas. Photo: Dara Munnis. @daramunnis

On their debut album, Flow State, Australian singer-songwriter Tash Sultana showcases what they do best: kickass instrumentals, soaring vocals, and dreamy soundscapes.

Released on Aug. 31, Sultana’s debut comes two years after the release of the EP Notion, which featured the powerhouse single “Jungle.”

Flow State is hard to describe in just one word—the album (much like Sultana) refuses to let itself be put into a single category. Sultana’s touch is evident on all 13 tracks on the album, something that’s even more impressive, especially given that they play every instrument on every song—Sultana’s website says they have mastered over 15 instruments, and depending on what other articles you read, this number goes up to as high as 20.

Part of the beauty of Flow State is that it only gets better with each listen. The dreamy opening track “Seed (Intro)” sets the tone for what’s to come as Sultana’s distinctive voice flows over a rhythmic beat that makes you want to listen to the rest of the album while you’re curled up under a blanket on a cold rainy day with a lava lamp on—which I highly recommend.

The all-instrumental “Seven” is a stand-out track that transitions from the sounds of a sweeping violin over a synth beat to a driving rhythm that conjures up thoughts of getting lost in the rain-soaked alleyways of far-off cities.

On “Harvest Love,” Sultana showcases a more simple, stripped down, melancholic vibe that would be at home on any Bon Iver album, while the feel-good jam “Free Mind” meanders along as Sultana croons “When will my mind be free? / From all the chains that hold me / Hold me, hold me, hold me, hold me down.”

Sultana’s guitar playing is so intricate and fascinating, sometimes you forget to pay attention to what they’re singing about, which is a shame because while simple, the lyrics reach out and grab you.

Things mellow out a bit towards the end of the album, before the nine-and-a-half-minute-long “Blackbird” kicks in to save things with a rollicking beat and echoing vocals, before descending into pure musical chaos as Sultana builds to a guitar-heavy ending.

Despite showcasing Sultana’s skills, the length of the tracks (most of which are between four to five minutes long) can all blend into one, especially in the latter part of the album. That said, Sultana’s debut allows listeners to hear what a talented one-person band they are by providing a little something for everyone.

“I’m on a permanent vacation to the soul,” Sultana sings on the groovy “Cigarettes,” which is exactly where this album takes you.

Provide photo