R&B artist Ne-Yo followed up his 2015 album Non-Fiction with a 17-song hit album for 2018: Good Man.

The new album brings Ne-Yo’s response to his criticism with his past relationships with women, and how his now-wife Crystal Smith made him “a good man.”

Before Good Man, Ne-Yo was the centre of attention with ongoing criticism regarding various past relationships with women.

Using a tried-and-true writing style, Ne-Yo insists that “not one song is poor.” Maybe none of the songs are poor, but only a few of them manage to be rich.

Ne-Yo’s decision to produce safe trap-based radio hits take away from the originality found in his previous albums. Rolling Stone’s Elias Leight was “unimpressed” with the album’s lack of originality.

Preceding Good Man’s release, two songs were made singles to advertise the album: “Push Back,” featuring Bebe Rexha and Stefflon Don; and the featured song Good Man.

He sings, “I wanna be chillin’ with Obama talkin’ business and see you callin’ and tell him, ‘Hold up I gotta take this.’”

The power and beauty of these lines communicates that there is no reason for a man not to take a call from his girl, regardless of where he is.

Then in the pre-chorus, the surrounding instrumental drops and leaves the subtle sounds of snapping as he goes on to a few lines inspired by Smith:

“Listen, baby, I ain’t nowhere near perfect, but I promise to make it all worth it. Giving you the things to be the man you deserve it. Make sure you show you’re smiling, way more than you’re hurtin”.”

Another track, “Apology,” is an opportunity for Ne-Yo to issue an apology letter throughout the song to “all the women he loved before.”

For me, this is Ne-Yo’s most honest song. He explains his poor behaviour around women, how he manipulated them by essentially losing the true meaning and respect of love.

The artist mentions his mother, Loraine Smith, early in the track. On multiple accounts by Ne-Yo, his mother played a monumental role in who he is as a man. The morals she taught were genuine, and did not disrespect women at all, which is why he thinks she’s disappointed.

“If my mama knew the things I did, she wouldn’t like it. She told me way better, I know I knew better,” Ne-Yo sings in the song.

Following were the lyrics to the chorus, which are only two words: “I’m sorry.”

Many believe this song to be an apology to all of Ne-Yo’s ex-partners, and specifically to his ex-fiancee Shaw. It’s a classy move.

Good Man offers other great melodies, with harmonic voice-overs and hip-hop inspired beat patterning. Although I find other songs lacking in personality and creativity, it’s still worth it to listen to a revamped Ne-Yo.