Are you looking for a place to study with people in your program, make friends with similar interests, or just trying to find a cool hangout spot? If you answered yes, this guide to Carleton’s unusual (and not-so-unusual) study spots is for you!

1.     Faculty of Arts and Social Science

The third floor of Paterson Hall hosts what third-year humanities student Jennifer Kempster calls, “the foundation of the Humanities community,” also known as the humanities lounge floor.

Stephanie Bridel, an alumna of Carleton’s history program, said the fourth floor of the same building boasts the Underhill Reading Room, a place for history students to study, meet, and mingle.

Recent film studies graduate Alexandra Haggert said there is a place for those learning about music, art history, or film in St. Patrick’s Building.

“There is a study room on the fourth floor of St. Patrick’s complete with a microwave and couches,” said Haggert.

Jasmine Leigh Renaud, an alumna of Carleton’s Canadian studies program, said there is a lounge on the twenty-second floor of Dunton Tower.

The academic student societies of each program or their respective departments will host mixers, lectures, and even formals in these spots for their students.  

Twice per semester, the English department hosts Full Stop Fridays at Oliver’s Pub, which allows students and faculty the opportunity to interact outside of the classroom over drinks, food, and music.

2. Faculty of Engineering & Design

Leo’s, more formally known by Google Maps as Leonard’s Lounge, is the Carleton hotspot for engineers and their in-the-know friends located just behind the blue “Tardis” doors of room 3342 Mackenzie Building.   

Jasmine Shaw, the president of the Carleton Student Engineering Society, said Leo’s was established in 1996.

The cafe is a volunteer-run business and operates during the week.

“It proudly boasts some of the cheapest food on campus, including $0.75 muffins and $1.75 chocolate milk,” said Shaw.  

Mackenzie Building itself is also undergoing a series of major renovations.

“[By this fall], the first stage in renovations will be complete and the 3300 block will feature over 10 engineering student groups’ offices.”

3.  Faculty of Public Affairs

Carleton’s public affairs and policy management (PAPM) program has its own computer lab in Loeb Building D199.

According to fifth-year PAPM student Jerry Zhao, everyone ends up there to finish homework.

“We fill it up with plenty of conversations, most of which aren’t all that related to PAPM,” Zhao said.

Third-year communications student Laura Quintero said she likes the Reader’s Digest Lounge on the fourth floor of the River Building.

“It is an amazing place to study, do projects, or relax,” Quintero said. “There is an area that overlooks the atrium [of the building] as well as a view of the river.”

4.  Faculty of Science

If you’re looking for a place to defy, debate, or discuss the laws of physics, Waqar Muhammad, the vice president of the Physics Society, said there is a place in Herzberg Laboratories for you.

“Physics students can always kick it with the Carleton University Physics Society in our office—the door is always open—located at 3413 Herzberg.”

Just down the hall is the Science Student Success Centre (SSSC) in room 3431, which hosts a mentoring program for all undergraduate students and helps them to “define and achieve their academic, career, and social goals,” according to the SSSC website.

5. The Sprott School of Business

In addition to being the tallest building on campus, Dunton Tower is also home to the Sprott School of Business.  

According to Kristen Gough, a third-year commerce student who works as an ambassador for Sprott, the lounge on the seventh floor of Dunton is a popular spot for business students.

“It’s quiet and it has an incredible view overlooking the canal,” Gough said.