NEWS

Meet Carleton’s “niche internet microcelebrities”

The pandemic era of university life at Carleton University has been defined by an influx of quirky Instagram accounts targeting students, which seem to...

OPINION

Do NOT try this at home: Dangerous and weird TikTok trends

I was in middle school when I tried the Kylie Jenner lip challenge. After watching my favourite influencers suck the air out of a...

I spent 24 hours in a bagel shop. Here’s what I learned.

“You have to go to Kettleman’s.”  When I moved to Ottawa for my undergrad in 2019, one of the first restaurant recommendations I received from...

The longest top-row word that can be typed on a typewriter is 'rupturewort', a type of plant, and Peru is the only country that can be typed on one row of a keyboard.

The Charlatan is Carleton University’s independent news publication. Run by students for students, the Charlatan has been providing the Carleton community with news and entertainment for more than 75 years.

SPORTS

Tennis matchmaking app fosters love of the game

Meet Rankd, the tennis matchmaking app for lovers of the game. Rankd Tennis North America aims to create matches for tennis players.

ARTS

‘Beth-Anne’ creatives horse around at undercurrents festival

For Beth-Anne, the best way to work up the confidence to ask out her crush is to turn herself into a horse. This fast-paced,...

Carleton alumna embraces ‘weirdness and uniqueness’ with Oddball Art

For Ottawa-based abstract artist Emma Maddock, art is all about presenting her unique reflections to the world. She draws and paints abstract art pieces...

LATEST ARTICLES

Carleton student governments usher in new executive teams

Carleton University’s student government elections season has come to a close and new executives are set to take office for the upcoming academic year. Throughout...

Opinion: PWHL’s playoff and draft format gets everything right that the NHL hasn’t

With the Professional Women’s Hockey League’s (PWHL) postseason fast approaching, the league’s exciting playoff format and draft process have proved it is committed to...

BREAKING: Carleton says quad is barricaded for maintenance, but some community members remain concerned

Carleton University has put up metal fencing completely blocking access to the campus’ academic quad, as protesters at the University of Ottawa enter their...

Ottawa charity helps settle recently homeless people and refugees into homes

In 2005, Nathalie Maione founded Helping With Furniture (HWF), a registered Ottawa charity dedicated to furnishing homes for those in need.  Now, nearly 20 years...

‘We need more permanent solutions’: City councillor questions use of community centres as emergency shelters

After Heron Road Community Centre’s third consecutive winter serving as an emergency shelter, a city representative and the community are hopeful for new solutions. Heron...

POPULAR ARTICLES

Sports Blog: Canadian athletes to watch at the 2018 Olympics

The greatest sporting event on earth, where 2,925 athletes from 92 nations compete in 102 events, got underway on Feb. 9 in Pyeongchang, South...

Alleged hazing within a Carleton University Greek letter sorority

A Charlatan investigation ‘I didn’t want to do it’  Alleged hazing within a Carleton University Greek letter sorority WARNING: SEXUAL MISCONDUCT, HAZING This story contains mention of sexual...

Opinion: We are too privileged to demand free period products

If a man had a uterus, his bloodshed would be holier than the Ganges. But my blood is clearly something to be ashamed of,...

Review: ‘Apocalypse Now: Final Cut’ captures the film’s best bits, and then some

If I say it is fun to watch this final cut, it is fun to watch this final cut! Apocalypse Now, one of the greatest...
0FansLike
2,464FollowersFollow
0SubscribersSubscribe