(Graphic by Austin Yao)

For many new university students, first-year is jam packed with anxiety, high expectations, and overwhelming confusion. The truth is, first-year can be hard, but there are lots of ways to make it easieróand upper- year students have plenty to tell their former frosh-selves.

“First and foremost you need to figure out when the hell all your essays and tests are, and as stupid as it sounds you need to start working on them right now. Why? Well, because before you know it you will have a week to go and seven essays due but you put them all off because you had ‘a month.’ So honestly, that is probably one of the biggest things I can say. You won’t regret starting something stupidly early, and in fact you should. Itís better, in my mind, to have a handful of work throughout the year.”

—Arturo Calvo, second-year journalism.

“Talk to your professors. Go into their office hours. And shake their hand when you hand in your exam. This may or may not have gotten me a reference letter. Building a network of professors whom you mutually know will benefit you down the road. And first year of university is the time you donít want to make the wrong turn on that road.”

—Michael Cacho, second-year international business.

“Go to frosh even if you think you’re too cool for it . . .If your roommate is absolute bat shit, try and tough it out. It builds character and definitely makes for funny memories. But if your roommate is actually terrible, change rooms! They can do that and it may make your life a lot easier. Look into joining school clubs—don’t disregard greek life based on stereotypes, it can be a great way to meet people.”

—Chloe Slowikowski, third-year psychology. 

“Everyone is going to have a different experience entering university and it is important to recognize that. Some are going to fit in right away, or if you are more like me, it will take a few years to find your place. Both situations are valid and acceptable.”

Charlie Nielsen, fourth-year commerce.

“One suggestion that I would give to first-year students is to change the way they use their calendar. Only schedule in items that are mandatory (class, tests, appointments) and items that are fun and fulfilling (like hanging out with friends, reading, hobbies, that cool concert coming up, etc). Then, as you go throughout the day, fill in the gaps with studying—literally. Schedule in the time you spent studying after the fact . . . when you have already scheduled in all the fun and important stuff, youíll reduce your chances of feeling trapped with school.”

Daniel Kazandjian, fourth-year health sciences.