Carleton’s Womxn’s Centre hosted an evening of self-care, tea, and dialogue about the gender wage gap on this year’s Latina Equal Pay Day, held Nov. 20.

Latina Equal Pay Day is a social movement highlighting how Latinas have to work almost twice as many years to earn the same wage as their white male counterparts. The day’s date changes every year in order to align with when Latinas would statistically catch up to white males’ wages from the previous year. 

Daniela Ochoa, Womxn’s Centre coordinator who is a Latina herself, said she paired manicures with the wage gap discussion in order to provide a safe environment for women to discuss personal stories, without the fear of being argued with or judged.

Daniela Ochoa, Womxn’s Centre coordinator, hosted the event Nov. 20. [Photo by Saarah Rasheed]
“As students, we’re so used to being paid minimum wage and not being compensated, it’s even worse for women,” said Ochoa.

Ochoa spoke about her own experience being undercompensated in the field of graphic design during the event. 

Although a recent Statistics Canada study shows the gender wage gap in Canada is slowly shrinking, the financial inequality still persists today, with Canadian women on average earning only $0.87 for every dollar earned by men in 2018.

Ochoa added in addition to the disparity in pay between genders, women are also less likely to ask for a raise because they have been conditioned to feel shame for speaking out by society.

“Demand what you deserve,” said Ochoa, to the eight attendees of the event.

Attendees took part in self-care activities while discussing the gender wage gap. [Photo by Saarah Rasheed]
One of the event’s attendees, Holly Brown, said discussion of the wage gap issue could inspire legislative change.

“Be outspoken, and be more aware,” Brown said. “It’s taboo to talk about your income and that’s part of the problem.”

Marrissa Walters, another attendee, said although the wage gap affects the financial aspect of women’s lives, it also affects their mental health. 

“The wage gap discourages women, they ask themselves why they are working so hard only to be paid less,” Walters said.

A 2016 study from Columbia University supports Walters’ claim in its findings, which show the gender wage gap plays a role in an increased rate of anxiety and depression among working women, and women in general.

Because a lot of women grow accustomed to thinking less of their work, Ochoa offered some advice to any woman who feels undeserving of asking for proper compensation.

“Know your worth and the worth of your work.”

Featured image by Saarah Rasheed.