Photo by Cameron Penney

The Carleton Ravens women’s soccer team won back-to-back games at MNP Park this weekend. They defeated the University of Toronto (U of T) Varsity Blues by a score of 2-0 on Sept. 10, then beat the Ryerson Rams by a score of 3-0 the following day.

“We feel that we can compete in any game we play in,” Ravens head coach Fred Juett said after the game.

Ravens midfielder Nicole Filipow had a pair of chances to open the scoring late in the first half. Her first shot sailed wide of the goal, then she appeared to have opened the scoring shortly after, though the goal was revoked due to an offside call.

Filipow was able to convert on an opportunity early in the second half when she buried a loose ball to give the Ravens a 1-0 lead.

Seven minutes later, Amanda Ngwafusi scored to extend the lead and seal the win for the Ravens.

Ravens goalkeeper Rada Mintchev made 12 saves in the game while keeping a clean sheet.

Following the game against the Varsity Blues, the Ravens took on the Ryerson Rams, who had fallen to the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees the day before.

While no team scored in the first half, the Ravens were able to generate 12 shots, while only surrendering four.

Emily Copeland Dinan opened the scoring for the Ravens in the 49th minute when she was able to bury a cross from Ngwafusi.

“We got a couple more shots than we normally get, [and] we scored on our opportunities, which we really have been trying to work on,” Copeland Dinan said after the game. “I think things are looking up and it’s going to be good next game.”

The Ravens offence continued to pressure the Rams, while Copeland Dinan and Filipow were able to score another goal each to stretch the lead to three.

Mintchev made 10 saves in the game, including a stop on a Ryerson breakaway in the 75th minute.

After the game, Juett said he is confident in the team he has on the pitch this season.

“It’s a good mix of young and old. We have some rookie players coming in, and [they’re] mixed with the veterans,” he said. “So as long as they continue to do what we’re charting out, then we have full confidence that we will be able to compete.”

“We have a positive outlook and a good vibe and the players are responding to it,” he said.

The Ravens will host the Royal Military College Paladins for their next game on Sept. 16 at MNP Park.