Provided by Martin Bazyl.

The Carleton Ravens women’s soccer team had a weekend of mixed outcomes, losing 1-0 to the University of Toronto (U of T) Varsity Blues and battling to a 0-0 draw against the Ryerson University Rams Oct. 4-5.

Having four concussions and three hurt ankles plaguing their roster, they were left with a pool of only 15 out of a potential 21 members able to play.

“It was a disappointing weekend,” Ravens midfielder Nicole Filipow said. “We didn’t come back with the results we expected.”

Claudia Piazza scored the lone goal in the first match against U of T in the 40th minute. The Varsity Blues also outshot the Ravens 9-3.

“The result explains the performance,”  Ravens captain and midfielder Veronica Mazzella said. “As a unit, we weren’t putting the puzzle pieces together. U of T is a better opposition to better prepare us for Final Four or nationals.”

On Oct. 5, the Ravens held their own defensively for the entire match against Ryerson, even though they were unable to sink the ball into the Rams’ mesh.

Mazzella said their second match of the weekend was played better, even though it was against a weaker opponent.

“As a unit, not the best weekend but not the worst,” she said.

Ravens head coach Raz El-Asmar said he is optimistic that once the injured players are back, things will improve.

“We were missing key positions due to injuries. The girls really turned it around [Sunday],” he said. “Overall it was a nice recovery.”

The Ravens play against the Ontario University Athletics-leading University of Ottawa Gee-Gees on Oct. 11 in hopes of improving on their 5-3-4 record.