The Carleton women’s soccer team will return to the field next season with many new faces on the sideline.

Fred Juett, a former player for Laurentian University, will take over as the head coach of the team. Juett is familiar with Ravens soccer, with two stints as an assistant coach for the team under his belt.

“I’m honoured and excited to take over as the head coach,” Juett said. “I have experience with the team and I am excited to see the program reach new heights.”

Another new face is Kyla Clark, who will come aboard as the goalkeeper coach. Clark was previously the goalkeeper coach for the Ottawa City Soccer Club.

Danielle Vella, former national team player, will also join the coaching staff. Vella played for the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees, where she won a Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) championship in 1996.

The young Ravens team went 7-6-3 last season, losing in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East quarter-finals to the rival Gee-Gees in extra time.

“From what I’ve seen, [the Ravens] are a very tactical team,” Juett said. “They like to pass the ball and cut a lot, play together as a team. They are very young, but the few veterans on the team will be a good presence.”

The team lost co-captain Veronica Mazella, who was named as an OUA first-team all-star in her final season. The team also saw the other co-captain and recent graduate Sarah Royer move to an assistant coaching position. A few of the many young players will have to fill their place, one of which could be third-year defender Melat Cherent.

Cherent, who was named an OUA East second team all-star last season, told Go Ravens that the team’s goal is to improve on what they accomplished last year.

As for expectations for the year ahead, Juett said they will keep it simple.

“The goal is always to make the playoffs, but what we really want to do is put ourselves in a position where we are ready to succeed,” he said. “I think we have the right coaching staff to do that.”

The Ravens will open their season at Trent University on Aug. 28.