Carleton's women's soccer team fell to defending CIS champs Queen's Golden Gaels Sept. 26. (Photo by Willie Carroll)

The Carleton Ravens women’s soccer team slumped to a 4-0 defeat at the hands of the Queen’s University Golden Gaels Sept. 26 at Ravens’ Field.

Three goals by Gael’s striker Jackie Tessier and a tap-in by midfielder Jessie DeBoer were enough to clinch the points for the defending CIS champions.

The Ravens, wearing all-white, were outplayed by the Gaels for much of the match.

“[Queen’s] played very well,” Ravens head coach Alex McNutt said. “We didn’t play to the level that we can play at and as a result we were beaten. If we were able to bring our A game we could have competed, but we didn’t and that’s what is disappointing.”

Despite a bright early period for the Ravens, it was the Gaels who opened the scoring. Tessier, who scored against the Ravens in last season’s playoff win, was on hand to head a cross from Breanna Burton into the net inside the opening 10 minutes.

The Gaels, unbeaten in the last six matches prior to today, were particularly impressive, exploiting the Ravens defense on a number of occasions.

The Gaels’ attacking endeavors were rewarded again in the 29th minute when DeBoer made it 2-0 for the visitors, tapping the ball in from close range following a corner, as set pieces plagued the Ravens once again this season.

Sadly, Carleton’s lack of cutting edge in attack offered little hope of a spectacular comeback. An Alexandria Druggett shot that went past the post early on was all the Ravens really mustered.

Carleton’s fortunes didn’t improve after half-time either as the Gaels continued to make the most of their chances in front of goal.

Unfortunately for the home side, the Gaels were able to put the game to rest midway through the second half. Tessier, who had earlier been denied by Bedek, added a third for the Gaels, slotting a right-footed shot into the bottom left hand corner after jinking her way into the box.

Tessier completed her hat-trick with the last kick of the game, charging down a Bedek clearance before calmly rolling the ball into an open net.

The performance by the Ravens was a far cry from the heroics they displayed when they drew 0-0 against the Gaels earlier in the season.

“They were really upset when we tied them 0-0 at their place [Sept 16]. So, for them to come here, score and put it all on the field, you can’t say anything negative about [their performance],” said Ravens goalkeeper Rachel Bedek.

The defeat offered very little in terms of positives for a hopeful McNutt.

“It’s a setback, but you know, if we can do well in the rest of our games, there’s still all to play for,” McNutt said.

The Carleton Ravens women’s soccer team continues their playoff push Sept. 29 against the Ryerson Rams.