Carleton beat RMC but will be starting play-offs away from home. (Photo by Christian Alphonse)

The Carleton Ravens women’s soccer team were unable to secure a coveted home field advantage in the upcoming playoffs Oct. 21, despite a 5-2 victory over the Royal Military College (RMC) Paladins, after the Laurentian Voyageurs were able to snatch a late equalizer against the Toronto Varsity Blues.

In a thrilling day of events, the Ravens entered their game against RMC knowing that a win, coupled with a Voyageurs defeat, would help them claim fourth place in the OUA East division, and grant them the opportunity to play their first round playoff game at Ravens’ Field.

To their credit, the Ravens looked unfazed by the occasion and were clearly determined to end their season on a high note by winning their ninth game of the campaign, one better than they achieved last year.

Their wish was quickly granted as the Ravens began the game in the ascendancy. It took just seven minutes for Nicole Filipow to register her second goal in as many games as the Ravens continued their recent prowess in front of goal to lead 1-0.

The Ravens were soon pegged back however, as the visiting Paladins made their significant height advantage count with an unlikely, but well-taken equalizer.

Following a 15th-minute corner, a near-post header found its way to Paladins defender Adelaide Fearnley, who volleyed home after being left completely unmarked inside the Ravens penalty area.

Despite the setback, the Ravens continued to put RMC on the back-foot. Alexandria Druggett and Tina Lacava in particular did so, forcing Paladins goalkeeper Morgan Hartlen into a couple of fine saves to keep the scores level.

The game looked to be heading into the half-time break all-square, but Ravens midfielder Veronica Mazella made it 2-1 for the hosts with a sublime left-footed curler that sailed into the top-right hand corner.

It was a terrific goal by the Sudbury native, whose range of passing and eye for goal has been invaluable to the success of the Ravens this season.

With the game delicately poised heading into the second half, the Ravens were able to effectively put the game out of reach as Adrianna Ruggiero drilled the ball past an outstretched Hartlen to put the Ravens ahead 3-1.

“That [goal] was important,” Ravens head coach Alex McNutt said. “We created lots of chances in the first half. But when you’re not sticking them in the back of the net, anything can happen. At 2-1, we wanted to score more and we did that.”

Two goals by Ruggiero and fellow striker Sarah Royer midway through the second half were enough to claim the points, as Carleton extended their unbeaten streak to two matches.

A late consolation goal by Mireille Musca did little to elevate the Paladins, who had already secured their first playoff appearance since 2007 with a win against Trent on Oct 20th.

“[We’re] very pleased [with the result]. I think we finished [the season] on a good note. We played really well and the score showed it,” Ruggiero said after the match.

The win was sadly tempered by news of an 87th minute equalizer by Voyageurs striker Julie Lopez. A goal that helped the Voyageurs claim a decisive 3-3 draw with Toronto.

That result ensured that the Voyageurs would finish ahead of the Ravens in fourth, courtesy of a better head-to-head record. Laurentian beat Carleton both home and away earlier in this season.

The news nevertheless was accepted by McNutt, who praised his Ravens side for their efforts this season.

“We need to be a little sharper defensively and in attack. But, [the players have] raised their game in key moments this season. When we’ve needed to show character, they’ve shown it. I think they’ll do well in the playoffs,” McNutt said.

It was an attitude similarly held by Ruggiero, who remained upbeat about the difficult challenge that lay ahead.

“I think after today, we are really confident. Laurentian have been tough competition for us, but I think we can do it,” Ruggiero said.