Last year was a disappointing season for the Carleton Ravens women’s soccer team, but fans should remain optimistic. The Ravens are looking for better results this upcoming year after a sub-par season last year.

The Ravens finished with five wins, 10 losses, and one tie last year, which placed them seventh out of 10 teams in the OUA Eastern conference.

“We were not happy where we finished last year,” Kristina Maione, a third-year returning goalkeeper, said.

The Ravens did not have many veteran players on their team last year, and the lack of experience became an issue.

“We have an extremely talented group of girls. I just think it is hard because we have an extremely young group of girls, so it was hard to gel last year,” Maione said.

She said the team could “gel” better with  new head coach Dom Oliveri, who was recently hired this past winter.

While new head coach Dominic Oliveri will have his hands full trying to boost the team’s chemistry, it will be up to the new players and veterans to change the team direction.

“We have a lot of high expectations this year, because we have a lot of new girls this season, and the girls coming back are super motivated,” Maione said. “Because we did so poorly last season, I think we are going to bounce back this season and show Carleton what our women’s soccer team is made of.”

Although the team’s chemistry was an issue last season, the overall team passion for soccer was their biggest strength.

“We all wanted to improve so badly last year, but we just did not know how,” Maione said. “But now, with the new coaching staff, they are showing us how.”

She added that passion leads to hard work and dedication, which are also positives that she believes will translate from last season into this one.

“We have all been working so hard this summer, and have been hitting the gym, practicing, and training so hard for the end goal of winning nationals,” Maione said.

It will be difficult for the Ravens to bounce back this season, because of the level of competition in the OUA.

“UOIT [The University of Ontario Institute of Technology] is probably the toughest competition we have, because they have a ton of grit, and have won a national championship,” Maione said. “I think beating a team like that would be a great way to prove we can get to that national level.”

The team will be playing against Bishop University on Aug. 15 in a preseason game.