The Ravens women’s soccer team visited Toronto this past weekend in a double header

against the University of Toronto Varsity Blues and the Ryerson Rams but managed to

only claim one point.

On Sept. 8, the Ravens started their weekend against an undefeated Varsity Blues side whose strong defence kept the Ravens from scoring and eventually fell 1-0.

In the first half, the Varsity Blues came out strong and the Ravens were able to prevent the home team from scoring for most of the first half.

The game’s only goal came just before halftime in the 44th minute when Varsity Blues striker

Natasha Klasios, was able to outrun the Ravens’ defence and slide the ball past

Carleton goalkeeper Sara Ann Wicks and into the back of the net.

In the second half, the Ravens came out even harder than before trying to find a goal of

their own opting to shift their formation to have more weight up front and only three

defenders in the back.

This change allowed them to control the ball more within their midfield and the team gave

the Varsity Blues a run for their money by forcing their most shots on goal—three shots.

However, the Varsity Blues’ defence proved to be a brick wall and the Ravens finished the game goalless and pointless.

The team’s second game of the weekend was on Sept. 9 against the Ryerson Rams.

While the Ravens fell more into their groove, they still didn’t manage to find the back of

the net.

During the game, the teams attack grew much stronger as they rallied a total 12 shots

against their opponent which was led by Ravens defender Alessandra Previte claiming

seven on her own.

While the team developed a better offensive approach during the game, that was not their only

area of improvement.

The Ravens’ defence also stepped up to stop the Ryerson Rams from scoring.

The entire defence, led by team captain Sarah Zutrauen, allowed the Ryerson Rams to have

only one corner all game and tackled cleanly and effectively, committing no fouls all game.

Wicks also had an impressive individual performance which added to the team’s overall game

result.

The Varsity Blues had a total of 18 shots on goal and Wicks managed to personally save an

impressive six shots to help her team salvage a point by keeping the game a 0-0 draw.

After the double header weekend in Toronto, the Carleton Ravens women’s soccer team currently sit seventh in the Ontario University Athletics East standings with five points to their name.

The team’s next game will be this season’s home opener on Sept. 15, when they play the Nipissing University Lakers who currently sit in third place in the standings.

File Photo