The Ravens women’s rugby team lost their second straight game on Sept. 28 visiting the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees.

The team, however, remained positive in the face of both losses—the first coming against Université Laval on Sept. 22. The Ravens faced a massive challenge taking on the two finalists of last year’s U SPORTS championships.

Both games were competitive and the Ravens kept them close, which captain Ellen Spannagel says demonstrates the growth of the program.

“We’ll probably have to play one of these teams in the playoffs . . . I think these last two weekends demonstrate that we can be competitive and we can win against these teams in the future.” Spannagel said.

The Ravens drew first blood early in the first quarter on a field kick by fly-half Jessica Jourbarne.

As the first half progressed, the rain began to fall and the onslaught of the defending national champions came with it.

The Gee-Gees’ high-octane offence, which was seemingly asleep for the opening minutes of the game, put the Ravens on their back foot. Driving the ball down the field and keeping the game measured and physical, eliminating the Ravens’ offensive attack.

Though the Ravens did a great job stopping the Gee-Gees by forcing several scrums within five yards of the try line, the defence would give up two first-half scores. A missed conversion meant they went to the locker room down 12-3.

The rain stopped as the teams came out for the second half. A combination of a tiring Gee-Gees’ team and offensive adjustments by the Ravens, saw the play go back and forth for the third quarter of the game.

With 17 minutes to go in the game, the game took a turning point with Gee-Gees fly half Emily Gray registering her third try of the game. The Gee-Gees fans filed out of the stadium with the game seemingly wrapped up.

The Ravens remained resilient and their backs had more space to run than all game, advancing the ball in quick succession with centre Lauryn Walker finishing it off to score the try.

The Ravens kicked into overdrive, pushing to bring the game even. With seven minutes left, the game took an unlucky turn as centre Maureen Foran was carded for an intentional knock-on.

“From my angle, I didn’t see too much—but, I didn’t see it as an intentional knock-on . . . Things happen though—refs are refs.” Ravens wing Maya Addai said.

Even with the call, the Ravens kept pushing right to the final whistle. Although exhausted, the team lost with grace, pushing the defending national champions right to the final whistle.

Despite the loss, Addai said she was proud of her team, and what the game meant to the team’s character and opportunity moving forward.

“I am really impressed, even though we didn’t win,” Addai said. “I’m so impressed with us and what’s to come.”

File photo