The Carleton Ravens women's rugby team against the McGill Martlets on Saturday, Sept. 25, 2021 at Carleton University[Photo by Spencer Colby/The Charlatan]

The Carleton Ravens women’s rugby team edged out the Université de Montréal Carabins in an intense 15-0 win at TAAG Park on Sept. 17.

The Ravens’ record was tested by Montreal, as the team proved to be a tougher opponent than the Sherbrooke and McGill teams they faced in their first two matches.

“We came into this match knowing full well it would be a tough and hard-fought battle,” Ravens head coach David Luong said.

No longer were the Ravens breezing by the defensive line. They were instead met by a very capable wall of defenders.

When it became clear that the Ravens wouldn’t be running roughshod over Montreal as they did against McGill, the game evolved into a heated defensive battle, where every metre of the field was hotly contested.

“For them to be able to adjust and to have the style of play that we needed to have to win this game, I think they did that really well,” Luong said.

Despite not showing anything on the scoreboard, Carleton dominated possession in the first half and limited Montreal’s offence with its defensive stands. 

“We had big stands there against the pick and go’s from Montreal. I think that is a lot of heart and determination and players put their bodies on the line to stop them from scoring,” Luong said.

The Ravens broke through 24 minutes into the first half when Madison Cunha completed a pick and roll. Fly half Vanessa Chiapetta added the conversion to put the Ravens up 7-0, which would hold until halftime.

The second half saw an aggressive pushback from the Carabins, sparking intense reactions from the raucous crowd at TAAG Park. Despite being under considerable pressure, the Ravens held their ground and added eight more points to seal the win.

“I think our discipline might have been tested a bit more than we would have liked, but I’m really proud of the players for standing strong and keeping them off the scoresheet,” Luong said.

A shutout against any team is satisfying, but Luong said the team was savouring this one in particular.

“Us and Montreal came to the league at the same time, so there’s always a bit of extra meaning to these games,” Luong said. “Seeing the players keep Montreal off the scoresheet—I think it’s a big boost for them.”

Luong wanted his players to know that the season will only get tougher from here. The team suffered a hard-fought loss against Laval on Sept. 24 and agaisnt the University of Ottawa on Sept. 30

The Ravens will be in action against Concordia on Oct. 8 at TAAG Park. 

Featured image by Spencer Colby.