January marks one year since the campaign for a women’s-only fitness hour at Carleton shifted its goals to include a separate workout space and programming for women. Though the original plans for the hour were subject to some controversy, it has carved out a niche in the slew of fitness programs offered on campus.

Jennifer Brenning, Carleton’s athletic director, said that since the implementation of the revised program, she has noticed a relatively positive response.

The original plan, which sparked an uproar on campus, included having gym access open only to women for a certain time on certain days of the week. The idea was met with backlash from some students who were concerned that it would disrupt regular gym users’ workout routines, and became the subject of heated debate both on campus and social media.

The campaign’s focus then shifted from closing off the gym to offering women’s-only fitness space and programming, foregoing reserving regular fitness centre space.

The women’s-only fitness hour is offered in the yoga studio in Alumni Hall for one hour at different times on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, according to the Carleton Athletics webpage. In addition to the fitness hours, Athletics offer various women’s-only fitness classes throughout the week, such as self-defense, yoga, swimming, and kickboxing.

Brenning said the time slots allocated to the women’s-only hour have been put to good use.

“There has been an average of three to four women using the space at any one time,” she said.

Though response may have been positive, the debate hasn’t quite disappeared. Some seem to think the program is important in spite of its unpopularity, while others see no need for its existence.

Sara Schoenherr, a regular gym user and third-year political science major, disagrees with the idea of a women’s-only hour in Carleton’s gym.

“I realize that it is a public facility for everyone to use during all of their designated gym hours, and I don’t want to keep men from working out,” she said.

In contrast , Sarah Oloumi, a third-year computer science student who also regularly uses the gym, said that while she does not personally feel a need for a women’s-only hour, she understands how others may find it appealing.

“I think a lot of girls might feel more comfortable working out in a women’s-only gym,” she said.

Schoenherr said she has never felt the need for a secluded space to work out.

“I’ve been working out in this gym for two years and have never felt uncomfortable, uneasy or in need of my own space,” she said. “If this were the case, I would work out at home instead.”

Oloumi also said she agreed that in her last two years of working out on campus, she has had a good experience in the co-ed gym. She says both male and female gym users offer to help others by spotting and giving advice, and that the gym is a positive environment. For Oloumi, working out with a larger group is more motivating.

“I find that I push myself more when I see other people pushing themselves,” she said.

According to Brenning, Athletics plans to keep the hour for future years, but added that they are still listening to feedback to determine whether or not to make any changes to the location or the specific times.

Photo by Meagan Casalino