The Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team won their two pre-season games, beating the Brock Badgers and the University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT) Ridgebacks on Sep. 16 and 17 at the Carleton Ice House. The victories followed three losses against teams from different leagues earlier in their preseason.

On Sept. 16, the Ravens came out victorious 3-2 against the Badgers, jumping out to an early 3-0 lead.

Carleton defenceman Rachel Knee opened the scoring four minutes into the game while on a powerplay. With a shot from the point, Knee was able to put the puck past the goalie and into the back of the net putting the Ravens up 1-0 early in the game.

Carleton was able to capitalize on the power play two more times in the second period, going three-for-five in the game. Ravens forward Leah Scott put in a rebound from the front of the goal after a shot by Katia Boulianne.

A set up pass from Knee to Boulianne gave her an open shot on net, putting the team up 3-0 and giving herself a goal and two assists.

Brock was able to rebound in the third period with a power play goal of their own after Ravens forward Samantha Jones served a four-minute penalty for a hit to the head.

Badgers forward Annie Berg scored both Brock goals. Berg was able to pick the puck up and head in on a breakaway against rookie Carleton goaltender Nieve Seeley, finding the back of the net for her secon of the game.

Carleton was able to hold the Badgers offence at bay for the rest of the third period and came out with a 3-2 victory.

Both teams played a five-minute overtime period and shootout after the official game had ended. Carleton was also able to come out victorious in the shootout after both teams went scoreless in overtime, with Raven Annie-Pier Tremblay scoring the lone shootout goal.

“Today we played as a team. The whole group played very well,” said Ravens head coach, Pierre Alain.

“The win was much needed . . . What we expected is in the how — how we do it and today, the how was respected, they [players] respected the plan and we played well, and well enough to win,” Alain said.

The Ravens engaged in a see-saw affair with the UOIT Ridgebacks the following night, prevailing with a score of 4-3, as well as scoring in overtime and winning the shootout.

After a scoreless first period, UOIT’s Megan Johnston opened the scoring on a breakaway, taking advantage of a Ravens turnover and putting it past Ravens goalie Katelyn Steele.

Boulianne answered a minute later as she streaked into the zone, made a move on the defender and put it past the Ridgebacks goaltender.

The Ravens fell behind 2-1 as Johnston scored her second of the night off an odd-man rush. Carleton would respond early in the third as Jamie Wainman put one into the back of the net after a shot from the point. The Carleton power play continued their success from the last game, as Tremblay made it 3-2.

Special teams continued to impact the game as a Ravens penalty following a skirmish after the whistle led to UOIT tying the game up.

Carleton defenceman Valerie Bouillon was able to tap in a loose rebound to put the Ravens up 4-3 and give them the victory with three minutes left in the game.

Scott scored in overtime and Hannah Dinovitzer won the shootout as the only scorer. Carleton outshot UOIT 52-31, with Alain calling the high shot total “very special.” Despite the victory, Alain said there is room for improvement.

“We still need to work on defence. We need to be better when we backcheck, we need to be better in our end and always working on breakouts,” said Alain.

The Ravens next game is against UOIT in Oshawa on Sep. 29, and will open up the regular season at home against the Université de Montréal Carabins on Oct. 13.

Photo by Trevor Swann